GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing greens indoors (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/448-growing-greens-indoors.html)

JTULL5 24-01-2003 10:22 PM

Growing greens indoors

I'm think about growing lettuce / greens in my basement near the small basement
window. This window faces south, so gets lots of light. I was going to hang a
small platform from the ceiling in front of this window, and put the pots or
flats on this platform, so the lettuce should get as much light as this window
can offer.

The basement is unheated and usually about 50 to 60 degrees.

Do you think this will work?

It would be nice to have 'good fresh greens every day of the year'.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Jim Carter 24-01-2003 11:43 PM

Growing greens indoors

On 24 Jan 2003 22:22:27 GMT, (JTULL5) wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

I'm think about growing lettuce / greens in my basement near the small basement
window. This window faces south, so gets lots of light. I was going to hang a
small platform from the ceiling in front of this window, and put the pots or
flats on this platform, so the lettuce should get as much light as this window
can offer.

The basement is unheated and usually about 50 to 60 degrees.

Do you think this will work?

It would be nice to have 'good fresh greens every day of the year'.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

There are about 400 different types of lettuce. Some of these can actually
survive a light frost and others require very warm temperatures. Obviously,
choosing the correct variety is necessary. I wish I could help you there but I
cannot; perhaps your seed supplier can recommend one.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a

Mahasamatman 25-01-2003 01:45 AM

Growing greens indoors

Yes, it will work. We have done it, although using soilless culture and
supplemental light.

You will probably need some supplemental light to get the results you want.

Keep an eye on soil fertility levels. I would suggest modest amounts of
high nitrogen fertilizer with trace elements on a regular schedule because
most potting soils do not have enough fertility to grow lettuce to maturity.

The leaf varieties do best for indoor culture. We have had excellent
results with Black Seeded Simpson. We also have had good results with
blends such as Johnny's All-Star Mix and the Pinetree Lettuce Mix.

The butterhead and romaine (cos) type lettuces do not do so well inside
because they take longer to grow to maturity and because they are more prone
to developing bitterness if conditions aren't just right.

Sam

Frogleg 25-01-2003 01:33 PM

Growing greens indoors

On 24 Jan 2003 22:22:27 GMT, (JTULL5) wrote:

I'm think about growing lettuce / greens in my basement near the small basement
window. This window faces south, so gets lots of light.

"Lots of light" is a relative term. I am, I guess, a light Nazi. Very
little direct sunlight that comes in a window lasts more than a few
hours. After years of trying to grow plants outdoors in less than
optimal light conditions (and raising straggly seedlings on
windowsills), I reached the conclusion that there's nothing like a big
open field with dawn-to-dusk sun. Even cool-weather crops like
lettuces like sun. You may be able to grow greens with supplemental
(artificial) lighting arrangements. It can't hurt to try. :-)

Pat Meadows 25-01-2003 04:24 PM

Growing greens indoors

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:43:15 -0500, Jim Carter
wrote:

On 24 Jan 2003 22:22:27 GMT, (JTULL5) wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

I'm think about growing lettuce / greens in my basement near the small basement
window. This window faces south, so gets lots of light. I was going to hang a
small platform from the ceiling in front of this window, and put the pots or
flats on this platform, so the lettuce should get as much light as this window
can offer.

The basement is unheated and usually about 50 to 60 degrees.

Do you think this will work?

I don't know if a *basement* window will get enough sun -
even facing south. Can you hang a fluorescent light to
supplement the sunshine? A cheap ordinary 'shoplight' will
do fine, you don't need an expensive 'grow light' to grow
green leafy plants. (Reference: my personal experience.)

As far as the temperature goes, most lettuce I've grown
likes cool weather - the temperature should be fine for the
lettuce.

Pat
--
Pat Meadows

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/

JTULL5 28-01-2003 10:37 PM

Growing greens indoors

Thank you all for your responses!
I'm going to give it a try (growing lettuce in the basement). I'll keep a
supplemental light handy, in case the sunlight alone isn't enough.

Jim