GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Why some seeds need low temp store to aid germination (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/451-re-why-some-seeds-need-low-temp-store-aid-germination.html)

Jo 25-01-2003 12:09 AM

Why some seeds need low temp store to aid germination

"How-Hie Ling" wrote ...
Hi,
I am getting some Chinese Jujube seeds in a packet from a seed retailer.

The instruction for planting the seeds is to store the seeds first in a
fridge around 5C for 60 - 90 days in order to aid germination. Why?

To get seeds to grow we have to fool nature. We mimic what happens
naturally with most wild seeds that are in the ground over the winter. They
become hydrated in the fall and go through the winter and germinate in the
spring as a result of experiencing the cold temperature.

The storage of seeds under cool and moist conditions for a given period of
time is called Stratification. During this period of time in storage,
certain biological changes occur within the seed which enables it to
germinate once it is sown in a suitable medium.