Old 09-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Schmuck

Default Non-toxic insect repellants.

Not even sure where to start looking for this.

My girlfriend (unwisely) left the garden in my hands, which means now
that most of the flowers have dissapeared to be replaced by things of
a tastier nature. In particular I've got chilli plants and plum
tomatoes currently flowering (I'm in the southern hemisphere, so we've
just rolled into spring).

There's a bit of spinach, a few garlic bulbs and some watermelon seeds
that seem to have sprouted of their own accord.

(As a aside, how can you tell when garlic is ready to pull?)

I've spotted the odd snail around the place as well as small black
flying things (they may be fruit flies, but I honestly don't know.).

I am looking for pointers as to what I should spread or spray around
the place to reduce the chance of losing my "crop" to disease or
insects. I don't want to hit everything with "Round-up", so I am
looking for household tricks, "old wives tales" or something I can
mixup without rubber gloves and a government permit.

(I drink a lot of tea, so if the leaves are good for anything (other
than composting!) that could be handy.)

Thanks for any advice.

Matt
Old 09-10-2003, 10:02 PM

On 9 Oct 2003 13:08:08 -0700,
(Schmuck) wrote:

I am looking for pointers as to what I should spread or spray around
the place to reduce the chance of losing my "crop" to disease or
insects. I don't want to hit everything with "Round-up", so I am
looking for household tricks, "old wives tales" or something I can
mixup without rubber gloves and a government permit.

(I drink a lot of tea, so if the leaves are good for anything (other
than composting!) that could be handy.)

First, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just because
you see an insect does NOT mean that insect is going to do
any damage to your vegetables. Many insects are beneficial,
some are neutral.

I don't routinely use anything to prevent insect damage or
diseases on the crops you mention (I also don't live in the
southern hemisphere). I do routinely cover up the cabbage
family crops with floating row cover or nylon net to prevent
cabbage worms from eating them, but you don't mention any
cabbage family crops.

There are 'organic' controls: rotenone, pyrethrin, neem,
Bt. All are less awful than Roundup. But none should be
used unless necessary.

I wouldn't think that the pests I'm used to in the
Northeastern USA would be the same pests you might
experience in the southern hemisphere. So I can only
recommend that you get a gardening book specific to your
local conditions. If you have a public library where you
live, probably they have at least several such books.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 10-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Bob Mounger

These folks are a little fanatical, but this site should give you some ideas.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/

As you can see he recommends garlic as part of an insecticide.

I usually pull garlic when the tops turn brown & fall over.

Hope this helps,

bob

Schmuck wrote:
[...]

Motion-activated deer repellants Dee Gardening 11 07-07-2007 03:46 PM
Natural Insect Repellants Paul E. Lehmann[_2_] Gardening 45 07-04-2007 04:31 AM
Sonar mole repellants david thorpe United Kingdom 3 02-03-2006 04:52 PM
Non-toxic weed control Tony Lawns 11 30-05-2003 12:32 PM
Non-toxic preservative for wood in raised beds pgh Gardening 6 25-04-2003 05:44 PM