Old 10-10-2003, 04:02 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default Protecting ivy over the winter question.

I may have posted this before, but I can't remember any suggestions.
We have a bank of Ivy, I believe it's English Ivy, you know, the kind that you
see 90% of the time.
Anyhow, winters are hard on it and it's not until September that it's filled in
and looking good. Is there anyway of protecting it over the winter?

Old 10-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Jim W

TOM KAN PA wrote:

I may have posted this before, but I can't remember any suggestions. We
have a bank of Ivy, I believe it's English Ivy, you know, the kind that
you see 90% of the time. Anyhow, winters are hard on it and it's not until
September that it's filled in and looking good. Is there anyway of
protecting it over the winter?

MULCH... leaves, straw,.. etc... should help.. Ivy is pretty tough
stuff .. What conditions do you get.. eg a lot of wet? a lot of dry
cold?.. English ivy (normal H. helix species) is a woodland plant so
would get the protection of a blanket of autumn leaves and 'some'
shelter from exposure by bare trees during winter here in its native
habitat..

//
Jim
North London, England, UK
Old 11-10-2003, 12:42 AM
V_coerulea

A good dose of 10-10-10 in early spring and again in early summer ought to
bring it into great looking condition long before September. Along with
adequate moisture, it shouldn't need much else unless you're along the
northern border of its hardiness. You don't say where you live. You also
don't mention the exposure. N, NE, NW exposures don't need much help below
the northern limits. Southern exposures could use some shade.

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
I may have posted this before, but I can't remember any suggestions.
We have a bank of Ivy, I believe it's English Ivy, you know, the kind that

you
see 90% of the time.
Anyhow, winters are hard on it and it's not until September that it's

filled in
and looking good. Is there anyway of protecting it over the winter?

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 04:37 AM
Protecting plants over winter Simon United Kingdom 3 17-09-2006 11:49 AM