GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Red currant wine...yum (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/45188-red-currant-wine-yum.html)

rdoiron 10-10-2003 04:42 PM

Red currant wine...yum

The French seem to be able to take any fruit (even nuts) and make
delicious wine and brandy from it. Check out this Frenchman's page
where he explains his method for turning red currants into the one of
tastiest wines your tongue will ever meet (I know...I've tried it).
Enjoy: http://www.kitchengardeners.org/bernard.html

SugarChile 10-10-2003 05:42 PM

Red currant wine...yum

Interesting.....I used to make a lot of fruit wines. Red currant was good,
as was gooseberry, cherry was excellent, but *black* currant was absolutely
superb. I used a mix of Crandall and Consort berries, and the balance of
sugars and tannins, the color, the aroma, the aftertaste, all were
wonderful. Plus, from a gardening standpoint, the black currants, in my
experience, are pest and trouble free, whereas the reds and the gooseberries
were prone to insect problems.

I haven't made wine for some time, but I think I still have a few bottles of
black currant wine tucked away somewhere, waiting for a special occasion.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA