Old 31-01-2003, 03:49 AM
Jo

Default Commie tomatoes

"Jim Carter" wrote ...
"Jo" wrote in
Wouldn't that be "formerly Commie tomatoes"? ;-)

There are still a few pinkos around. :-)

--

And here they are!!!
http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/...mato_pink.html

Old 01-02-2003, 12:52 AM
Jim Carter

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:21:52 -0600, zxcvbob wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Has anyone tried any of the tomato varieties from Russian and NE
Europe? There's a couple of 50 day tomatoes in one of my catalogs that
look intriguing, but I wonder how they taste? "Siberia" and "Stupice".
Has anyone ever tried them?

Regards,
Bob, in Minnesota

The motherlode of Russian and Siberian tomatoes is at

http://www.seedstrust.com/hag/hag_tom_easy.html

I found a quote I like about one of the Siberian varieties

"At a taste test of dozens of tomatoes, someone shouted, "Oh my gosh! This is a
tomato!""

At least one variety from the Ukraine has fruit in 58 days.

"Matures: 58 Days. Ukraine. Each small, compact plant produces 20-30, 4-6 oz.
juicy tomatoes in record time. In fact, Odessa is the only tomato to ripen in
the same class as Galina, Stupice and SashaÕs. (Det.)"
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 03-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Ann

I'm sold on Early Girls eventhough the fruit is considerable smaller and
have less juice than most other varieties however they have considerably
more juice than Roma. The fruit is always well shaped, firm and I've never
seen them crack as most varieties do after a rain following a dry spell. In
my Iowa garden, they are the last to succumb to blight and wilt and produce
long after the other plants have died. Here the Early Girls produce until
the killing frost knocks them out. The fruit gets considerably smaller
towards the end; slightly larger than a large cherry tomato variety. I don't
know where your garden is located but with what you mentioned, you have more
than ample time to produce a good tomato crop provided you start with
decent sized plants.