Old 25-01-2003, 05:21 PM
zxcvbob

Default Commie tomatoes

Has anyone tried any of the tomato varieties from Russian and NE
Europe? There's a couple of 50 day tomatoes in one of my catalogs that
look intriguing, but I wonder how they taste? "Siberia" and "Stupice".
Has anyone ever tried them?

Regards,
Bob, in Minnesota
Old 25-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Bill Bolle

Stupice is great! It's a small tomato, a little over 1 inch, but puts
out like "gang busters". The flavor is a little more tart than cherry
tomatoes but it's great for eating out of hand while puttering around in
the patch. This year I'll be trying the "Black Krim" and "Druzba", I
like tomatoes that are not as sweet as most of today's varieties.
Bill (Oklahoma)

Old 26-01-2003, 02:36 AM
Bill Bolle

Kind of strange but my "Mortgage Lifter" last year was a bust---bland
flavor and splitting. It's a lot like in real estate-----it's location,
location, location. I used to grow a lot of tomatoes when I lived in
California and my old standby varieties just don't taste quite the same
here in Oklahoma.
The adverts for "Black Krim" said that it had a slight "salty" taste,
can't hardly wait to find out. Maybe my 8 inches of mulch will help the
cracking problem.
Bill

Bill wrote:

In article , says...
Stupice is great! It's a small tomato, a little over 1 inch, but puts
out like "gang busters". The flavor is a little more tart than cherry
tomatoes but it's great for eating out of hand while puttering around in
the patch. This year I'll be trying the "Black Krim" and "Druzba", I
like tomatoes that are not as sweet as most of today's varieties.
Bill (Oklahoma)

Couldn't agree more about Stupice. A lot of mine never made it out of
the garden does anyone else garden with a salt and pepper shaker set
in their pockets? Another excellent less sweet/more tart tasting
tomato for me was Mortgage Lifter. Black Krim tended to be fussy about
watering, tends to crack if the soil is not kept evenly moist. I
thought the flavor on the bland side, but the fruit was pretty and drew
many comments from visitors.

Bill
--
We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet, and, amid all
the forms of life that surround us, no one, excepting the dog, has

Old 26-01-2003, 02:49 AM
Lee Hall

Bill Bolle wrote in message ...
Stupice is great! It's a small tomato, a little over 1 inch, but puts
out like "gang busters". The flavor is a little more tart than cherry
tomatoes but it's great for eating out of hand while puttering around in
the patch. This year I'll be trying the "Black Krim" and "Druzba", I
like tomatoes that are not as sweet as most of today's varieties.
Bill (Oklahoma)

I grew Black Krim in 2000 and 2001 and Druzba in 2002. The Black Krim
were much larger than I expected, a decent beefsteak size. They were
tasty but a bit unusual if you aren't used to black tomatoes. The
plant was huge but had a tendency toward leaf curl. The Druzba
produced nice medium large red tomatoes with a nice tangy taste. The
Black Krim was much more productive. I was happy just to know the
Russky varieties will grow in the Tennessee heat.

Old 26-01-2003, 03:33 AM
Jo

Wouldn't that be "formerly Commie tomatoes"? ;-)

Old 26-01-2003, 04:31 AM
Pam Rudd

When last we left our heros, on Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:42:53 -0600,
zxcvbob scribbled:

I'm still looking for a good-tasting tomato with medium-to-large fruit
that will produce well up here in Minnesota. The summers are usually
hot and humid and very short. Occasionally a summer will be cool. Most
tomatoes don't ripen up here until September. First frost is mighty
early.

Consider Russian Silvery Fur Tree, it's tasty and an interesting
plant to boot.

Pam
"ElissaAnn"

Old 26-01-2003, 05:18 AM
zxcvbob

Jo wrote:

Wouldn't that be "formerly Commie tomatoes"? ;-)

Yes, but at least I got peoples' attention.

Best regards, ;-)
Bob
Old 26-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Pat Meadows

wrote:

I'm still looking for a good-tasting tomato with medium-to-large fruit
that will produce well up here in Minnesota. The summers are usually
hot and humid and very short. Occasionally a summer will be cool. Most
tomatoes don't ripen up here until September. First frost is mighty
early.

I'd like to know of such a tomato too. I'm in the
Appalachians in northern PA at around 1600-1800 feet in
altitude.

Our summers are also very short, and can be hot. The nights
however cool off.

Our last killing frost can be mid-June - the first killing
frost is the first week in October or last week in
September. There have actually been frosts in July and
August here but those are quite unusual.

Our tomatoes ripened in September last summer, and the first
frost was the first week in October - it really wasn't worth
bothering with them at all last year, we got so few. I had
planted them in WallsoWater too to give them a good start in
the cool spring....didn't seem to help much.

I'm thinking to try Early Girl this year. Anyone have any
recommendations? Ideas?

Pat
--
Pat Meadows

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/

Old 26-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Jim Carter

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 02:33:02 GMT, "Jo" wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Wouldn't that be "formerly Commie tomatoes"? ;-)

There are still a few pinkos around. :-)
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 30-01-2003, 02:29 AM
zxcvbob

Pat Meadows wrote:

Our summers are also very short, and can be hot. The nights
however cool off.

Our last killing frost can be mid-June - the first killing
frost is the first week in October or last week in
September. There have actually been frosts in July and
August here but those are quite unusual.

Our tomatoes ripened in September last summer, and the first
frost was the first week in October - it really wasn't worth
bothering with them at all last year, we got so few. I had
planted them in WallsoWater too to give them a good start in
the cool spring....didn't seem to help much.

I'm thinking to try Early Girl this year. Anyone have any
recommendations? Ideas?

Pat

I usually get lots of green tomatoes right away, then they take forever
to ripen. I was impressed with Principe Borghese last year. They are
small, like a pullet egg, but they tasted good and most importantly they
ripened quickly.

You might want to try Quick Pick VFFNTA (not sure that's the right list
of disease initials). I've grown them for years here and in Texas and
they always did pretty well. They are a mid-sized round tomato. I've
run out of seeds, and instead of buying more I wanna try some more
interesting tomatoes. But I recommend you plant a couple of Quick Picks
and see how you like 'em.

Best regards,
Bob