Old 14-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Jon Endres, PE

Default PING Gary Woods

Gary,

About when should those of us in this area be putting in the garlic?

Thanks.

--
Jon Endres, PE
Reply To: wmengineer (at) adelphia (dot) net

Old 14-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Gary Woods

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote:

About when should those of us in this area be putting in the garlic?

Refresh my memory about where "this area" is... I should be planting
within the next couple of weeks in upstate NY; the rule I heard at a talk
by somebody who actually knew something was 4-6 weeks before ground frost,
i.e. the ground freezing to an appreciable depth. Here, that's usually
well into December.

Now if I can only trim and weigh all that cured garlic that's hanging in
the shed......

Old 15-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Jon Endres, PE

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Jon Endres, PE" wrote:

About when should those of us in this area be putting in the garlic?

Refresh my memory about where "this area" is... I should be planting
within the next couple of weeks in upstate NY; the rule I heard at a talk
by somebody who actually knew something was 4-6 weeks before ground frost,
i.e. the ground freezing to an appreciable depth. Here, that's usually
well into December.

Ah...oops. This area meaning your area - upstate NY, Capital district, and
in my case, southern Vermont.

Jon

Old 15-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Jon Endres, PE

Right here, of course.

In my case, southern VT.

Old 15-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Gary Woods

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote:

Right here, of course.

I should 've known.... put an "X" on the fender while I was there, so I
could find it again.

IOW, any time within the next few weeks would be ok. If it suddenly turns
cold earlier than usual, apply some mulch. Otherwise, it's best NOT to
mulch until the ground freezes a bit; all you want to do is damp the
freeze-thaw cycle. A good coat of "poor man's fertilizer" is just as good
and, appealing to a Vermonter, free...

Ping sacha - reposted message! Ping Spider re Deutzia Spider[_2_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2009 06:28 AM
PING PING Jan -ED Ponds 0 30-06-2006 04:46 PM
Gary Rich - Young Koi Show? Carl Beyer Ponds 1 12-08-2003 08:51 PM
calling Gary Woods Garlic emergency! Setzler Edible Gardening 5 10-07-2003 12:32 PM
Gary Wills, professional troll Cereoid+10 Plant Biology 3 05-04-2003 03:32 PM