Old 27-01-2003, 03:56 AM
Bill D

Default Onions

I have been growing onions for years. I either buy bags of bulbs I think 100
for $1 or transplants.
I ran into a Gardner that plants a bulb about 3 in" around and gets about 5
onions per bulb.(scallions)
I tried this with some of my onions that didn't do well last year, and darn
if I didn't get 5 Scallions per bulb.
I forget to ask him were I could get these 3" bulbs.
Does anyone know.

Thanks

Bill

Old 27-01-2003, 10:37 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

I think you are looking for "potato onions".........just type in 'potato
onions' on Yahoo.........you should find them there......suspect the only
problem will be getting them at this time of the year.......typically they
are a fall planting onion...........HW

Old 27-01-2003, 10:45 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

the first time I typed in potato onion I got what I was looking
for......tried again and this time had to type in potato onion
sets......best of luck...H
et...

Old 27-01-2003, 08:40 PM
Lorenzo L. Love

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker wrote:

I think you are looking for "potato onions".........just type in 'potato
onions' on Yahoo.........you should find them there......suspect the only
problem will be getting them at this time of the year.......typically they
are a fall planting onion...........HW

Also called multiplier onions. Territorial has them. You're right, too
late to plant them this year.
Old 27-01-2003, 08:51 PM
zxcvbob

"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote:

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker wrote:

I think you are looking for "potato onions".........just type in 'potato
onions' on Yahoo.........you should find them there......suspect the only
problem will be getting them at this time of the year.......typically they
are a fall planting onion...........HW

Also called multiplier onions. Territorial has them. You're right, too
late to plant them this year.

When I was a kid we had multiplier onions that *never* formed a bulb. They
just kept dividing, and when you pulled some up for a salad, you broke one
off the bunch and replanted it. They looked like scallions that you buy in
the supermarket, but they were a little smaller and tasted like shallots.
IIRC, you could plant them year-round, but that was in Texas where the
ground never froze and the multiplying onions stayed green all winter.
I've planted shallots before, and it's not the same thing -- and the
shallots are not nearly as prolific.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 29-01-2003, 01:30 AM
zxcvbob

zog wrote:

(zxcvbob) wrote in :

"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote:

[...]

Check out evergreen bunching onions, they never form bulbs and are hardy
into at least z6. You start them from seed and can pull your first onions
in the fall. I got mine from Stokes.

I've tried 'em. Actually, I have a 3 or 4 year old patch of them in the
corner of the garden, but they are not good for much except the first
year from seeds. They are a Japanese variety, and I don't remember the
name but it started with an 'I'. They are a lot closer to what I wanted
than the usual "evergreen white bunching" variety; at least they were
closer for a few months. Then they formed little bulbs, and the next
(and subsequent) years they were tough and woody and put all their
energy into blooming.

The onions I'm talking about never bloomed, so seeds would not be
available. You would have to start with transplants. Did I mention
that they taste something like shallots?

Best regards,
Bob (zone 4)