Old 29-01-2003, 03:32 PM
Bruce Yates

Default Mantis tiller

Can anyone give me their opinion on the Mantis tiller?

I had a troy built years ago and loved it, but sold it after back
surgery. Went to square foot gardening a couple of years ago and am
considering one for my small garden, flower beds, etc.

How good is it at breaking sod for new planting beds?

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 29-01-2003, 04:00 PM
zxcvbob

Bruce Yates wrote:

Can anyone give me their opinion on the Mantis tiller?

I had a troy built years ago and loved it, but sold it after back
surgery. Went to square foot gardening a couple of years ago and am
considering one for my small garden, flower beds, etc.

How good is it at breaking sod for new planting beds?

Thanks,
Bruce

I have a Mantis tiller and I hate it. If you have sandy soil, it might
work for you to cultivate existing beds -- if you can get it started.
There is no way it will work on sod.

I've heard good things about the little Honda tiller.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 29-01-2003, 04:44 PM
Ross Reid

Bruce Yates wrote:

Can anyone give me their opinion on the Mantis tiller?

I had a troy built years ago and loved it, but sold it after back
surgery. Went to square foot gardening a couple of years ago and am
considering one for my small garden, flower beds, etc.

How good is it at breaking sod for new planting beds?

Thanks,
Bruce

I bought a Mantis tiller many years ago. Sent it back for a refund.
Bought a Honda FG-100 a couple of years ago. It'll till rings around
the Mantis plus, it's a four stroke so, no gas/oil mixing.
That being said, the Honda FG-100, even though it is far superior to
the Mantis, would be hopeless at breaking any amount of sod for new
beds.
Ross
Eliminate obvious to email.
Old 29-01-2003, 05:03 PM

I had a mantis, hated it as well. Sold it. It bounced on the soil, and
that was only WHEN i could get it started! What a joke that was!
Roz

Old 29-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Steve Calvin

Ross Reid wrote:
Bruce Yates wrote:

Can anyone give me their opinion on the Mantis tiller?

I had a troy built years ago and loved it, but sold it after back
surgery. Went to square foot gardening a couple of years ago and am
considering one for my small garden, flower beds, etc.

How good is it at breaking sod for new planting beds?

Thanks,
Bruce

I bought a Mantis tiller many years ago. Sent it back for a refund.
Bought a Honda FG-100 a couple of years ago. It'll till rings around
the Mantis plus, it's a four stroke so, no gas/oil mixing.
That being said, the Honda FG-100, even though it is far superior to
the Mantis, would be hopeless at breaking any amount of sod for new
beds.
Ross
Eliminate obvious to email.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I bought a Mantis a few years
ago and it amazes me. I had a section of yard complete with a maze of
pine tree roots that I could hardly dig up with a shovel, pick, and ax.
I must have worked on it for about an hour and only got about a 3x3 foot
square dug up. When the mantis showed up, I fired it up and did the
whole area in about 15 minutes.

I've seen very little that can stop it.

--
Steve

Old 29-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Steve Calvin

Steve Calvin wrote:
Ross Reid wrote:

Bruce Yates wrote:

[...]

ps. except maybe clay... I've never tried that.

--
Steve

Old 29-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Bob Mounger

Steve Calvin wrote:

Steve Calvin wrote:
Ross Reid wrote:

Bruce Yates wrote:

[...]

I live in Dallas with a very heavy clay soil.
My Mantis does well. I have never had startup problems either.

Hope this helps

--
Bob Mounger
Old 29-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:32:03 -0600, Bruce Yates
wrote:

Can anyone give me their opinion on the Mantis tiller?

I had a troy built years ago and loved it, but sold it after back
surgery. Went to square foot gardening a couple of years ago and am
considering one for my small garden, flower beds, etc.

How good is it at breaking sod for new planting beds?

I wonder if you could rent one and try it out? I'm thinking
of those Taylor and similar rental places - don't know if
they'd have them or not.

Pat
-- Pat Meadows
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 29-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Steve Calvin

Bob Mounger wrote:
Steve Calvin wrote:

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I bought a Mantis a few years
ago and it amazes me. I had a section of yard complete with a maze of
pine tree roots that I could hardly dig up with a shovel, pick, and ax.
I must have worked on it for about an hour and only got about a 3x3 foot
square dug up. When the mantis showed up, I fired it up and did the
whole area in about 15 minutes.

I've seen very little that can stop it.

ps. except maybe clay... I've never tried that.

--
Steve

I live in Dallas with a very heavy clay soil.
My Mantis does well. I have never had startup problems either.

Hope this helps

Good to know. I guess maybe we're just lucky? My usual description of it
when someone asks is that "it's an animal".

--
Steve

Old 30-01-2003, 06:44 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

Can anyone give me their opinion on the Mantis tiller?

I had a troy built years ago and loved it, but sold it after back
surgery. Went to square foot gardening a couple of years ago and am
considering one for my small garden, flower beds, etc.

How good is it at breaking sod for new planting beds?

My experience is years out of date now, but my Mantis was *extrememly*
sturdy. My problem was getting it started, and someone posted a method
either here or in rec.gardens within the past month of a secret method
to start the critter. I only tried to break sod as an experimental
exercise when I first got it, and it it *did* have the muscle. Big
problem there was roots winding around the edges.

The big plus was the small size and light weight -- easy to move,
store, transport, etc.

Old 31-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Steve Calvin

zxcvbob wrote:
What was the secret?

regards, bob

wrote:

Can anyone give me their opinion on the Mantis tiller?

I had a troy built years ago and loved it, but sold it after back
surgery. Went to square foot gardening a couple of years ago and am
considering one for my small garden, flower beds, etc.

How good is it at breaking sod for new planting beds?

My experience is years out of date now, but my Mantis was *extrememly*
sturdy. My problem was getting it started, and someone posted a method
either here or in rec.gardens within the past month of a secret method
to start the critter. I only tried to break sod as an experimental
exercise when I first got it, and it it *did* have the muscle. Big
problem there was roots winding around the edges.

The big plus was the small size and light weight -- easy to move,
store, transport, etc.

Make sure that the mix in the gas is correct first off. I start by
shaking the tiller a few time to make sure that the gas in the tank is
mixed. Pull the choke all the way out (don't forget to turn the switch
on.... don't ask... ;-) ) Quick rope pulls until the engine spits
like it wants to start. Push the choke in about 50% and it should fire
right up, unless the plugs fouled from improper mix.

--
Steve

Old 31-01-2003, 02:49 PM
Andy N

My brother in-law purchased a mantis tiller a few years back and noticed
that the transmission case located between the tines gets hot after about a
half hour use. He can't find a place to lubricate it anywhere and assumes
this to be normal but who knows? There has never been any sign of leakage
around the case. He has decided to let it cool after about 15 minutes of use
then continue again. Possibly the factory may have accidentally left the
lubricant out! I am wondering if anyone has experienced this same condition
with their mantis. Thank you

Old 31-01-2003, 05:18 PM
Steve Calvin

Andy N wrote:
My brother in-law purchased a mantis tiller a few years back and noticed
that the transmission case located between the tines gets hot after about a
half hour use. He can't find a place to lubricate it anywhere and assumes
this to be normal but who knows? There has never been any sign of leakage
around the case. He has decided to let it cool after about 15 minutes of use
then continue again. Possibly the factory may have accidentally left the
lubricant out! I am wondering if anyone has experienced this same condition
with their mantis. Thank you

Hm, never took any notice actually. Next time I fire it up for a while
I'll pay attention, but it's gonna be a while before it time here to
start doin' that kind of stuff. :-(

--
Steve

Old 01-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Bob Provencher

"Bruce Yates" wrote in message
Can anyone give me their opinion on the Mantis tiller?

I had a troy built years ago and loved it, but sold it after back
surgery. Went to square foot gardening a couple of years ago and am
considering one for my small garden, flower beds, etc.

How good is it at breaking sod for new planting beds?

I'm not sure about breaking sod, depends on which mantis you buy. I'd go
for the one with the 4-stroke honda enegine, it's similar to the red ox.

I rented the 2-cycle once and had trouble starting it like others, it did
seem very tempermental.

I've never used the 4-stroke. Honda themselves has a nice looking small
4-stroke you might want to check out. I have a large honda rear tine and
it's been very reliable.

--
Bob Provencher
ICQ 881862

Mantis Tiller ruth todd Gardening 12 08-02-2004 06:22 PM
Mantis Tiller Low compression Joseph A. Zupko Lawns 0 07-07-2003 10:33 PM
I chose Mantis tiller--here's why Siouxzi North Carolina 1 22-04-2003 11:08 PM
Mantis tiller experience? Ed United Kingdom 2 09-02-2003 11:13 PM
Mantis tiller/cultivator Doreen Taylor United Kingdom 3 30-01-2003 07:36 PM