Old 24-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Frogleg

Default Herb hardiness -- was: basic question: herbs, winter

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:58:05 +0000 (UTC), R Braun
wrote:

I'd like to know whether they'll survive the winter; and, if they will,
what I need to do to protect them and how far back I can cut them.
I'd like to harvest and freeze as much as I can without killing the
plants if they have a chance of coming back, but I wasn't able to
garner that infromation from the faq....

The herbs in question are sage, parsley, chives, and thyme.
I live in Urbana, Illinois (zone 5).

Maybe there should be an FAQ by experienced herb-growers. "Perennial"
is certainly open to interpretation. In my zone 7b experience, sage,
chives, and thyme are genuine perennials, and I've harvested biennial
parsley when snow-covered. Googling on the subject seemed to suggest a
hardiness zone of 6 for these, but I *know* people grow them in colder
climates. With protection? What sort?

Rosemary

Zone 8 or warmer, they say. :-)

Old 25-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Dianna Visek

Hardiness is a tricky issue. Where I live (zone 5b), some sages and
thymes are hardy and some are not. In general, the variegated ones
are more tender. A lot depends on the particulars of the winter.
When we get more snow, more things survive.

Hardiness is also affected by dampness around the stems. Some herbs,
such as lavender, survive fine if their leaves are kept dry enough.
They hate tree leaves drifting around them. They like sand and gravel
in the soil and directly under their stems.

Hardiness is probably best addressed locally. Knowing your zone isn't
really enough.

Regards, Dianna

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:41:25 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Maybe there should be an FAQ by experienced herb-growers. "Perennial"
is certainly open to interpretation. In my zone 7b experience, sage,
chives, and thyme are genuine perennials, and I've harvested biennial
parsley when snow-covered. Googling on the subject seemed to suggest a
hardiness zone of 6 for these, but I *know* people grow them in colder
climates. With protection? What sort?

Rosemary

Zone 8 or warmer, they say. :-)

To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 25-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:13:12 -0500, Dianna Visek
wrote:

[...]

OK. We've got 2 data points here. Let's keep it simple. 3 herbs --
sage, thyme, parsely. Hardiness experience -- 7b-8; winter hardy
perennials. 5b marginally hardy -- common varieties more hardy than
others. Parsley OK for both? Mine doesn't "die down" over winter.

This site:

http://www.palacenet.net/home/rlghm/garden/herb.htm

has info for zone 4.

It's certainly true that zones aren't enough info, but rough
guidelines. What about protection? Does straw or leaf mulch help?
How/when applied?