Old 26-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Joe

Default Start plants from seeds in Spring/growth light etc, info please.

I have tried to start plants from seeds in the past, but always failed. I
would like to have a setup in my basement for starting plants. I really
don't know how to go about it. What kind of lights do I need and where can I
buy them? What about a fluorescent shop light that hangs over a shelf where
the starter containers sit? Is there such a thing as growth florescent light
tubes for starting plants? I would also like to know when to start plants
from seed such as tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli etc... I can't find any
books on this for a beginner to use. Also, what about using basement window
wells for cold frames? Thank you all very much for your opinions.

Old 27-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Pam Rudd

When last we left our heros, on Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:28:00 GMT,
"Joe" scribbled:

I have tried to start plants from seeds in the past, but always failed. I
would like to have a setup in my basement for starting plants. I really
don't know how to go about it.

First, the seeds need to be warm. How warm is your basement?
And yes, they do need light, I use fluorescent shop lights with
some aluminum foil hanging from the edges to reflect more light
back on the seedlings. A little tip: gently shake your seedlings
once or twice a day, or else put a fan on them. It makes the
seedling release a plant hormone, and I can't remember which one
right now, but the hormone makes the plant grow thicker and
sturdier.

When to start depends on your location. Most books recommend
that you start seeds 6 weeks before your last frost date.

Also, what about using basement window
wells for cold frames? Thank you all very much for your opinions.

We don't have basements here in SC, the water table is too high.
You'll have to ask someone else about that.

Pam

"ElissaAnn"
Old 27-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Steve

Joe, I think the most common way to fail is to provide too little light.
Shop lights are fine. Use at least 2 of them. I use some old 4 tube
fixtures to give me 8 tubes total for a grow area of about 4 feet x 2
feet. You can use ordinary cool white fluorescent tubes and there is no
reason to use anything fancier than that on plants that will be going
out into the sun in a matter of weeks.
One thing that many people don't realize at first is that the plants
must be very close to the tubes to get the best light. An inch or 2 is
not too close. You will need a system to raise the lights as your plants
grow or start with the seedlings raised up on something and lower them
as they grow.
You will need a warm place to get the seeds going. Temperatures in the
80s to low 90s will get many seed growing in 3 days. Watch them
carefully and move them to the lights as soon as they sprout.
Figure out your normal last frost date and work back from there. Most
plants need about 6 weeks from seed. Tomatoes and peppers can go 8.
Cabbage and broccoli can take a little frost and can be planted out
before the heat lovers. By the time the plants start getting too big for
the lights, it is warm enough to move them outside during the day. Go
from mostly shade to full sun over a period of at least a week to get
them used to full sun. Leave them out on the warmer nights.
I think basement window wells might work great for cold frames. I don't
have that kind of basement windows so I can't try it. Don't seal them up
too tight if there is full sun. I imagine it could get too hot. You
could maybe open the window to let the basement air keep away the
temperature extremes.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Old 27-10-2003, 01:02 PM

wrote:

I have tried to start plants from seeds in the past, but always failed. I
would like to have a setup in my basement for starting plants. I really
don't know how to go about it. What kind of lights do I need and where can I
buy them? What about a fluorescent shop light that hangs over a shelf where
the starter containers sit? Is there such a thing as growth florescent light
tubes for starting plants? I would also like to know when to start plants
from seed such as tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli etc... I can't find any
books on this for a beginner to use. Also, what about using basement window
wells for cold frames? Thank you all very much for your opinions.

I have used shop lights with ordinary (cheap) fluorescent
bulbs with great success for many years. You want to use
bulbs that say they are '40 watt'.

There are special 'plant lights' - the bulbs are extremely
costly so I've never tried them.

Our present setup is like this: we have two sets of
shelves. Three shelves in each set. From the top two
shelves, shoplights are hanging on chains. This way I can
adjust the height - you need to keep the bulbs very close to
the growing plants.

There's a very good, helpful book about starting seeds.
Here's the info on it (from Amazon). You could probably
either get it at your public library or request them to get
it for you on Inter-library loan (or buy a used copy
cheaply).

----------------------
The New Seed Starter's Handbook
by Nancy Bubel

Paperback: 385 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.14 x 9.11 x
6.47
Publisher: Rodale Press; (April 1988)
ISBN: 0878577521
----------------------------

Lots of more general gardening books have sections on
starting seeds too.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the spam trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 27-10-2003, 01:02 PM

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 02:31:58 GMT, Steve
wrote:

You will need a warm place to get the seeds going. Temperatures in the
80s to low 90s will get many seed growing in 3 days. Watch them
carefully and move them to the lights as soon as they sprout.

I want to add that - as soon as the seeds have sprouted -
they no longer need the temperatures to be that warm. In
fact, it would be better to use normal room temperatures (or
even somewhat cooler) after the seeds have sprouted.

Some people use heating mats under the seeds for warmth
(prior to sprouting) some use 'mini-electric greenhouses' (I
have two of these), some people put the seeds on top of
their water heaters or on top of their fridge.

Pat

Old 27-10-2003, 06:32 PM

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:21:57 -0500, Pam
wrote:

In our last fun filled episode, Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:45:31 -0500,
proclaimed:

There are special 'plant lights' - the bulbs are extremely
costly so I've never tried them.

I did. I put plant lights bulbs in one set of my shop lights.
I didn't notice any difference in the seedlings, so I didn't
bother to get anymore.

That's good to know. Thanks, Pam.

Pat

Old 15-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Jim & Gloria

Hi Joe:
My name is Jim, I live in southern Mn. I start about 250 tomato plants
from seed each spring. I like to use Jiffy7 peat pots in their plastic tray
and
a clear plastic lid. Start them in a warm dark place. After the plants come
up move them to a place with lots of light. After the plants get
their "true" leaves, transplant them to a larger container "peat pot and
all". I use plastic cups
about 10oz size, and use Miracle Gro garden soil. Next put the plants in
full sun and let them
have a breeze. The breese causes the stems to thicken and become strong.
About the middle
of May the plants will be big enough to set out into garden, I wait until
the end of May because
of the cool nights in this climate.

Jim

Old 16-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Patskywriter

About the middle
of May the plants will be big enough to set out into garden, I wait until
the end of May because
of the cool nights in this climate.

Jim

hi, jim

just curious. when i was living in chicago i often ordered seeds from veseys,
which specializes in short-season gardening (they're in canada). do you have
good luck with "ordinary" seeds or do you also use short-season seeds?

pat