Old 02-11-2003, 01:33 AM
David Auker

Default sweet peppers inside for winter?

It's starting to be freezing temperatures here, so I've dug up and potted a
bunch of sweet red pepper plants that I started from seed last winter. They
had a good growing season, and I can't bear to see my babies die out there!

I understand that peppers are a perennial, so if I succeed in keeping them
alive until May, it seems I would be way ahead of a normal planting of young
plants with these oldsters??

Any experience out there in wintering over sweet pepper plants? I
half-tried once, and about all that happened was I was growing aphids inside
:-(

David

Old 02-11-2003, 01:33 AM

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 14:17:22 -0800, "David Auker"
wrote:

Any experience out there in wintering over sweet pepper plants? I
half-tried once, and about all that happened was I was growing aphids inside
:-(

I'm growing peppers inside this winter, but they aren't
over-wintering. I started these from seeds this fall
(indoors). So no aphids.

So far, they're doing very well. They're blooming now.

If they continue to do well, next spring I could transplant
them outdoors (sort of the reverse of what you want to do).

Pat

--
To email me, remove the spam trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 02-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Steve

I have a pepper plant in a pot. I've had it for 5 or 6 years, maybe
more. I've decided to toss it on the compost pile and not save it
another year.
I don't live in a good pepper growing climate. I thought leaving it in
the pot and starting the season with a bigger plant might give me more
peppers. That didn't work too well. I actually got few if any peppers
during the summer but usually got several small ones when I brought it
indoors in the fall.
Try it, they are fairly easy to winter over indoors as long as you can
provide enough light to keep them going.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Old 02-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Sam

I overwintered a sweet pepper last winter but it did not do very well, I had
peppers about all winter but it was ones that were already on the plant when
I put it in the greenhouse.
I put it out in the spring and it did not produce well. The new ones I
started from seed had more peppers and earlier than it did!!!!
Hope you have better luck.

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach,SC

Old 03-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Pen

I took peppers indoors too. To get rid of aphids, put the pot into
the bath tub once a week and gave the plant a shower. Large fruiting
peppers stops producing indoors but small fruited ones like Jingle
Bells can still produce a handful of new fruits through the winter.
You need a really big pot, atleast 5gal, and a sunny window. The only
problem with keeping a potted pepper was that after 2 years, the plant
became woody and slowly died on its own.

Old 04-11-2003, 03:42 AM
David Auker

After a winter inside, how did your plants produce, when you put them back
outside for their second season?

om...

Old 04-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Pen

The large fruited peppers were not very productive compared to younger
plants the following season. Jingle Bells had shot up to almost 5
feet during the winter and was quite productive the following summer.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:02 AM
David Auker

"Pen" wrote in message
om...
: The large fruited peppers were not very productive compared to younger
: plants the following season. Jingle Bells had shot up to almost 5
: feet during the winter and was quite productive the following summer.

I wonder how sweet peppers fare in a climate where they get to
"self-actualize" as perennials, with no hint of killing frost? How long do
they live? Maybe they start losing productivity compared to younger plants?

David
Oregon

Old 07-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:58:22 -0800, "David Auker"
wrote:

I wonder how sweet peppers fare in a climate where they get to
"self-actualize" as perennials, with no hint of killing frost? How long do
they live? Maybe they start losing productivity compared to younger plants?

Yeah. Seems to me many definitions of annual are frost-dependent.

Here's an interesting site related to peppers:

http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/caps_spp.cfm
Old 08-11-2003, 05:42 PM
David Auker

: wrote:
:
: I wonder how sweet peppers fare in a climate where they get to
: "self-actualize" as perennials, with no hint of killing frost? How long
do
: they live? Maybe they start losing productivity compared to younger
plants?
:
: Yeah. Seems to me many definitions of annual are frost-dependent.
:
: Here's an interesting site related to peppers:
:
: http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/caps_spp.cfm

Great site - thanks!
Daivd