GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   when to start peppers, eggplants inside? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/468-re-when-start-peppers-eggplants-inside.html)

Bill Shoemaker 31-01-2003 12:05 AM

when to start peppers, eggplants inside?

Just for what it's worth, I'm in central/N.E. Pa. and last year it
gave the last frost date as early May. I started my pepper plants in
late Feb. to early March, and didn't wind up putting them in the
ground until Memorial Day week, because it was too cold.

Things were screwed up because of the excessive heat and drought, but
I was glad I started as early as I did. The plants didn't begin to
produce until late in the growing season (some never did), and I
didn't get fully ripe peppers until way after labor day. And, the
bells didn't produce that much.

This was a mix of hot and bell peppers, some of which take a pretty
long time to mature. The bottom line is, I thought I'd started them
too early, but it didn't hurt at all. In fact, this year I'm going to
start some in early Feb., just to see what happens.

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 04:46:06 GMT, "Jean S. Barto"
wrote:

Hello--

When should I start my pepper and eggplants inside (from seed)? I'm in Zone
7b, almost Zone 8--and this will be the first time I'll be growing these
from seed. Last frost here is supposed to be around April 15, but has been
sooner. It gets consistently warmer the end of April.

I've also ordered 3 eggplant plants from Burpee and I suppose they'll be
sent to more or less when they're supposed to go outside?

Thanks in advance,

Jean Barto
Newport News, VA

Jo 31-01-2003 05:09 AM

"Bill Shoemaker" wrote in message...
Just for what it's worth, I'm in central/N.E. Pa. and last year it
gave the last frost date as early May. I started my pepper plants in
late Feb. to early March, and didn't wind up putting them in the
ground until Memorial Day week, because it was too cold.

We're not all Americans. When is Memorial Day? Is this the same weekend as
Canada's Victoria Day? (weekend preceding May 24) That's the traditional
planting weekend here.

Thanks, Jo
Zone 4b, New Brunswick

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker 31-01-2003 11:40 AM

when to start peppers, eggplants inside?

We're not all Americans. When is Memorial Day? Is this the same weekend

as
Canada's Victoria Day? The last week-end in May........Memorial Day for

planting was really established many years ago when it was the last day of
May and a somewhat more realistic planting date than today when the actual
date fluctuates. Here, on Cape Cod, the general bottom line safe planting
date is May 30th/June 1st/.......sometimes Memorial Day is as early as May
26th. (this year being one of them)......at this time there is a constant
danger of a killing frost potential and generally is not considered a
totally safe date.......about four years ago the local nurseries lost
thousands of plants due to an unforecasted killing frost on May 29th.
...........I tend to plant mine out around the 15th. but have plenty of time
to observe the weather conditions and more than once have be seen with my
flashlight at midnight covering the plants......HW.

Pat Kiewicz 31-01-2003 01:01 PM

Bill Shoemaker said:

Just for what it's worth, I'm in central/N.E. Pa. and last year it
gave the last frost date as early May. I started my pepper plants in
late Feb. to early March, and didn't wind up putting them in the
ground until Memorial Day week, because it was too cold.

Things were screwed up because of the excessive heat and drought, but
I was glad I started as early as I did. The plants didn't begin to
produce until late in the growing season (some never did), and I
didn't get fully ripe peppers until way after labor day. And, the
bells didn't produce that much.

I wonder if trying to hold the plants so long before transplanting might
not have been part of your problem with lateness, along with the weather...

I always start my plants in early April, usually set out in late May (very late, last
year) and was picking early tomatoes in late July (usually I start getting them in
mid-July), green peppers in July, the first ripe ones in August, and eggplants
in late July. My paste tomatoes were only a week late, though I did loose
about half of one variety to BER when they were small.

Mulching with compost or a mix of shredded leaves and coffeegrounds
might have helped to give the plants a boost. I also watered *a lot* even
with the mulch (though not enough, or consistantly enough, for that one
susceptible paste variety).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Pat Meadows 31-01-2003 05:41 PM

when to start peppers, eggplants inside?

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:05:48 GMT, Bill Shoemaker
wrote:

Just for what it's worth, I'm in central/N.E. Pa. and last year it
gave the last frost date as early May. I started my pepper plants in
late Feb. to early March, and didn't wind up putting them in the
ground until Memorial Day week, because it was too cold.

We're in north central PA (Tioga County) - we still had snow
on the ground last year on Memorial Day. The year before we
had a killing frost in MID-JUNE. Yikes.

Things were screwed up because of the excessive heat and drought, but
I was glad I started as early as I did. The plants didn't begin to
produce until late in the growing season (some never did), and I
didn't get fully ripe peppers until way after labor day. And, the
bells didn't produce that much.

This was a mix of hot and bell peppers, some of which take a pretty
long time to mature. The bottom line is, I thought I'd started them
too early, but it didn't hurt at all. In fact, this year I'm going to
start some in early Feb., just to see what happens.

I bought pepper plants at a nursery last year, and set them
out in pots on the deck (my 'container garden'). They did
well, we had lots of peppers.

Pat
-- Pat Meadows
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY