Old 30-01-2003, 11:45 PM
Another Thyme

Default Tomato Heirlooms

There are so many endearing qualities to heirloom plants, tomatoes
included.

They are foolproof, dependable, disease resitant naturally, tasty, you
can save the seeds or if you have to buy them they cost a fraction of
the hybrid seeds (the whole rational behind hybrid seeds is that you can
not create the same plant in your home garden so you will need to buy
more seeds, at many 100 price points above the cost of heritage seeds)
and best of all is the connection with the past that is really what
gardening is all about. Sure, we want fruit or veggies, or even herbs
and flowers, but anyone who plants a garden is connecting with the past
and those of us who love heirlooms have a strong connection to bring
forward for future generations.

Another Thyme,
Sharrron

....with heirlooms
there is a far greater chance of running into problems.......HW

Old 31-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

" There are so many endearing qualities to heirloom plants, tomatoes
included.

" They are foolproof, dependable, disease resitant naturally,

"........poppycock and balderdash re "naturally desease resistant....put 'em
in some real "desease contaminated soil" and see how they make out......HW

Old 31-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:45:21 GMT, Another Thyme
wrote:

There are so many endearing qualities to heirloom plants, tomatoes
included.

They are foolproof, dependable, disease resitant naturally, tasty, you
can save the seeds or if you have to buy them they cost a fraction of
the hybrid seeds (the whole rational behind hybrid seeds is that you can
not create the same plant in your home garden so you will need to buy
more seeds, at many 100 price points above the cost of heritage seeds)
and best of all is the connection with the past that is really what
gardening is all about. Sure, we want fruit or veggies, or even herbs
and flowers, but anyone who plants a garden is connecting with the past
and those of us who love heirlooms have a strong connection to bring
forward for future generations.

No, sorry, can't agree. I garden more for the RESULTS than
for the 'connection with the past'. I grow vegetables and
fruits so that we can have them and eat them fresh, preserve
some perhaps, and share them with neighbors and friends.

The heirloom tomatoes I grew were most definitely not
foolproof, and not dependable. I couldn't even have saved
the seeds as the tomatoes did not ripen before a killing
frost came along.

If I can have the results I want *plus* a connection with
the past, that's fine. But otherwise, the connection with
the past is definitely not my first priority.

Pat
-- Pat Meadows
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 02-02-2003, 02:45 AM
Alice Gamewell

They will make out probably better than hybrids. Put hybrids in the same
situation Harold. You are just so oponioned you cant seem to see other points
of veiw. I say heirlooms are the best. I grow theses, have no trouble. with
them The key is to find out which heirlooms work best in your area.
Any seed will do bad in diseased soil. HEIRLOOMS HAVE SURVIVED THE TEST OF
TIME.
HYBRIDS HAVE COME IN AND OUT OF VOGUE.

Old 02-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 02:45:26 GMT, Alice Gamewell
wrote:

They will make out probably better than hybrids. Put hybrids in the same
situation Harold. You are just so oponioned you cant seem to see other points
of veiw. I say heirlooms are the best. I grow theses, have no trouble. with
them The key is to find out which heirlooms work best in your area.
Any seed will do bad in diseased soil. HEIRLOOMS HAVE SURVIVED THE TEST OF
TIME.
HYBRIDS HAVE COME IN AND OUT OF VOGUE.

Not really. They've come in vogue and stayed there...

In any case, that's a poor basis on which to choose your
tomatoes (anything, really) - that it's 'in vogue'.

I choose what (I believe and hope) will work best for my
conditions. Heirlooms have not yet - in my experience -
been good for the conditions under which I have gardened.

I have tried heirlooms at various times, having been a
gardener for over 30 years and in various locations as I've
gardened in Northern New Jersey, Edmonton (Alberta, Canada),
Delaware, Southern New Jersey, Maryland and northern
Pennsylvania in the mountains.

But I'm happy they work for you. I'd be even happier if
they worked for me.

Old 02-02-2003, 04:18 PM

"Alice Gamewell" wrote in message
. You are just so oponioned you cant seem to see other points
of veiw.///////////// Nay lassie.........I cannot "stomack" those that

believe their's is the only way me dearie. I certainly know what I like but
would never think it is the the best...except for me. There are too many
problems in this world caused via people "believing their way is the only
way"......my way is for me......maybe for others if they believe it to be a
"better way".......in my gardening teachings I give a number of points of
view.......some I believe and some I do not.....allowing the audience to
decide for themselves "which is best for themselves"........I gladly discuss
heirlooms plus hybrids and the attibutes of both but never say one is better
than another...that is not for me to say......if that be "oponioned" then I
most certainly do qualify and. no doubt will continue to do so.

Harold Walker.