Old 12-11-2003, 06:02 PM
mixter

Default can deer manure be composted?

a friend has a pear tree where the deer congregate and naturally, do their
business while they munch on the pears.

he would like to know if he can use the droppings in his compost pile. i
told him i thought he could since deer are vegetarians.

am i right or wrong?

mixter

Old 13-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Ole timer

Yes, it make very good compost, as well as cow, sheep, rabbit and
vegitarian animal.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old 13-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Bpyboy

the deer manure is probably better, as it's not cranked full of hormones,
antibiotics......

I mean, it lives on grass, and in your freind's case, pears! can't be any
worse than the stuff that comes from a farm.

Old 15-11-2003, 12:22 AM
B.Server

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:51:47 -0500, "mixter"
wrote:

a friend has a pear tree where the deer congregate and naturally, do their
business while they munch on the pears.

he would like to know if he can use the droppings in his compost pile. i
told him i thought he could since deer are vegetarians.

am i right or wrong?

mixter

FWIW, late in the year I can tell every place the (*&^(*&^*(&^ things
have dropped in my back yard. The grass is greener. Of course, what
they ate was my garden, shrubs, and just about anything else. At
least goats are good for something.

So yes, the deer manure should be just fine either composed or just
spread.
Old 15-11-2003, 08:02 PM
lois

The only manure that cant be composted live in your house - human, dog
and cat!!!!

Old 16-11-2003, 11:12 AM

Yes, it can. All herbivore manures are good for composting. Just remember to get the pile hot enough
to kill any seeds.

And contrary to another post, human, dog, cat, pig, etc., can be composted.
However, DO NOT use these materials in your compost pile. Most piles don't get hot enough
to kill any disease organisms. These manures require special handling. See the following:

http://csf.colorado.edu/archive/2003.../msg00033.html
www.agroecology.org/cases/humanmanure.htm
www.growinglifestyle.com/prod/0964425890.html
http://journeytoforever.org/compost_humanure.html
http://store.yahoo.com/sancor/index.html
http://mailman.cloudnet.com/pipermai...er/007557.html
http://www.sustainableenterprises.co...et/compost.htm
http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/Organics/Worms/default.htm

Dog & cat:

http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/s0/a24924.html
http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...e-dog-cat.html
http://csf.colorado.edu/archive/2001.../msg00232.html
http://www.wormfarm.com/board/config.pl?read=902

And many, many more, just use your favorite search engine.
human manure compost -- replace human with dog, etc.

Remember, ALL manures can and probably do contain disease organisms.
E. Coli, salmonella, parasitic worms, etc., etc., etc. -- Handle accordingly!! --
These manures (after composting), should probably be limited to use on your trees, shrubs, etc.
Also, you can setup a worm bed for composting these manures.

How do you keep your cat(s) out of your garden? They just love 'soft' turned soil to do their business, so much easier to dig in.

BigDave