Old 02-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Jane

Default Brown Turkey figs?

Hi,
Does anyone know if I can grow Brown Turkey figs in zone 6.5 Maryland
without taking the tree inside during winter? And which edible tree sources
are reliable?
Thanks for your time.

Jane

Old 03-02-2003, 04:23 AM
Cricket

You can probably grow the Hardy Chicago variety with just a touch of winter
protection. simple things can work. One year, I cut my figs back (in the
same zone as you're in) to 5' and surrounded them with T Posts and wrapped
bailing twine around the whole thing. I filled the structure leaves and
covered it with plastic, took it down in spring, and oooh! We had good figs
the next year.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket
. ..

Old 03-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Jane

Thanks Cricket, What are chigaco Figs like?
Do they play the Blues? (guffah)

Jane
"Cricket" wrote in message
You can probably grow the Hardy Chicago variety with just a touch of

winter
protection. simple things can work. One year, I cut my figs back (in the
same zone as you're in) to 5' and surrounded them with T Posts and wrapped
bailing twine around the whole thing. I filled the structure leaves and
covered it with plastic, took it down in spring, and oooh! We had good

figs
the next year.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket
. ..

Old 03-02-2003, 04:01 PM
simy1

"Jane" wrote in message ...
Hi,
Does anyone know if I can grow Brown Turkey figs in zone 6.5 Maryland
without taking the tree inside during winter? And which edible tree sources
are reliable?
Thanks for your time.

Jane

Edible Landscaping has the whole figs collection. They have even
hardier varieties than BT. Call them or email them and ask for advice,
they are relatively close to you (theit nursery is in VA).

Old 03-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Beecrofter

"Jane" wrote in message ...
Hi,
Does anyone know if I can grow Brown Turkey figs in zone 6.5 Maryland
without taking the tree inside during winter? And which edible tree sources
are reliable?
Thanks for your time.

Jane

Here in probably a similar zone 6b in Connecticut they die back to
the ground and grow enough to just bearly bear fruit in a good season.
I figure we have 180 days without frost. You can wrap them or lay them
over in a leaf filled trench to cheat winter like the Italians in
Westerly RI do.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:11 AM
Jane

Thanks Bee,
I know we're closer to 7 here than 6 but I remember in Pittsburgh years ago
seeing the Italian neighbours trench out a bed for theirs. If it becomes
necessary i'll be prepared. Our temps rarely go below 10 degrees. This
winter though has been brutal here in Maryland and we're bound to have some
dying off. I love he coast of Connecticut. I'm oringinally from Deerfield
Mass. Smallish world huh?
Jane

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...