Old 03-02-2003, 12:10 AM
Denise

Default tomato leaf curling

Hi There,

I have had a few problems with my tomatoes of late so I thought I would
query the experts. My first plant's leaf curled vertically and started
getting yellow spots on the leaves - it hasn't really picked up, someone
suggested Epsom salts, but I just put some blood and bone down to see if it
would pick up.

Anyway, I purchased another plant and now it's leaves are turning over on
itself - like curling horizontally - it also has some yellowing on the edges
and brown as well. This is a fairly new patch that has not has anything
growing in it for 20 years so I am not too concerned if my first go is not
too great.

I live in Subtropical conditions, and we are still in our summer over here.
I have not had tomatoes on this part previously.

any suggestions will be greatly appreciative

Denise

Brisbane, Australia

Old 03-02-2003, 02:14 AM
Andy N

Australia has been on our news lately as literally the whole continent being
on fire. Possibly it's just too hot for the tomato plants now and that may
be why the leaves have been curling up on your plants!
A small Iowa, USA gardener.

Old 04-02-2003, 12:44 AM
Denise

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the reply - yes the place has been heating up quite a bit - but
not where I live. In fact it has been raining for the last three days (yay)
up here. The fires have mainly been south of Brisbane - about 1400 miles
south

My folks live in Canberra, in the next suburb to where the fires ripped
through - they were pretty lucky. Dad has given up on his veggie
garden..... they are now in a stage 5 water restriction which means buckets
only. It is getting too hard for him to keep the water up. I think he is
going to concentrate on his roses.

Old 04-02-2003, 02:43 AM
Andy N

Sorry about the humor in my earlier post. It appears to me that your plants
might be getting too much moisture and that may be causing the leaves to
curl, especially if they are turning yellow first.

Old 04-02-2003, 05:24 AM
Cricket

What are your most common weeds? Not that I'd recognize them, having never
been to Australia, but any info about their (the weeds') growth habits would
help. I am a firm believer that weeds will tell one more about a soil than
any other indicator.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket

Old 04-02-2003, 05:26 AM
Cricket

Oh yea, and whatever you are experiencing, I would bet, can at least be
mostly minimized by addressing the soil in either via nutrient or moisture.

Old 21-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Bill

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 09:10:25 +1000, Denise wrote:

[...]

Denise,
Do a web search for "tomato diseases". MANY 'official' sites have
photographs of diseased leaves, stems, root and fruit that will help you pinpoint the
exact problem and suggest a reasonable tactic for dealing with it. Do you
smoke tobacco? Some diseases can come from contact with hands that have
had contact with tobacco.

At any rate ... there ARE photos out there. Your assignment this week is to
find them. :-)

Bill

Old 06-03-2003, 05:15 PM
Timber

Without seeing exactly what your plants look like I could be wrong here but
it sounds to me like you may have Verticillium or Fusarium Wilts. Both of
which are soilborne diseases which cause yellowing and curling of the
leaves, wilting and premature death of the plants. These diseases persist
in gardens where susceptible plants are grown. Once they build up in the
soil, the only practical control is the use of resistant varieties or to not
plant tomatoes in the same location for at least five years as both are
systemic problems.

More times than not, the culprit enters the garden from the seedling stock
you purchased. This is one reason I never purchase seedlings any longer and
I dunk all my seeds prior to even thinking about germinating them.

In later phases of this problem it can and normally does start to mottle the
fruit and cause fruit shape deformation.

Timber
www.timberslodge.net
....a Step Through Time

news

Old 06-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Jim Carter

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 15:45:52 GMT, "Timber" wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

This is one reason I never purchase seedlings any longer and
I dunk all my seeds prior to even thinking about germinating them.

I have not heard of "dunking" seeds. How is it done?
--
Spelling and grammatical errors are deliberate
to catch copyright violators. ©¿©¬
Old 06-03-2003, 07:03 PM
Timber

It's easy as pie.

Run your tap water till it is as hot as you can get it
Put your seeds into any type of fabric sack, I use a knee high stocking.
Dunk the seeds into the hot water and count to ten
Repeat four or five times
Spread seeds out onto a sheet of paper, I use wax paper
Allow to air dry

That's all there is to it. This will not kill anything and everything but
it helps out bunches!
I cure all my seeds at time or harvest by squishing the tomatoes into a
bucket and allow them to stand for a week or two in the outside air (put a
screen meshing over the top so critters don't get into the stinky mess)
At the end of a week or two (depends on the ambient temperature) I drain
this whole mess into a sifter. Rinse and rinse, then place back into the
bucket and fill it with water. After an half hour or so the gunk will have
sunk to the bottom. Sift the seeds off of the top.
Rinse the bucket again and dump the seeds back into it and soak it
overnight.
The seeds which float to the top I throw away as more times than not, these
are the bad ones!
Collect the seeds on the bottom and air dry. Package for storage.

In the spring when you are germinating---dunk them as described above.
These two processes together have allowed me to have fewer problems than any
other method or chemical for over a decade now.

Timber
www.timberslodge.net
....a Step Through Time

Old 09-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Mike Stickney

Timber's advice is excellent but I would like to add some comments.
Recognizing specific tomatoe diseases is quite difficult and is aided by
local experience.
The symptons you describe are common to a number of diseases. My plants (I
live in Victoria, Australia) this year have similar symptons and I believe
it is a virus desease. I sow my own seeds (for the reasons given by Timber)
and I sterilise the soil (all my plants are by necessity grown in containers
so that is easy) with formaldehyde (from the local pharmacy).I grow a bush
variety and a staking variety. At first I removed the affected leaves but
eventually the bush variety (which I grow for an early crop) succumbed but
not before a good crop had been harvested. The staking variety is still
doing fine. The desease attacks the lower leaves and as I progressively
remove these lower leaves and harvest from the lower branches, the plants
keep growing upwards and produce new healthy leaves and healthy fruits. So a
solution is to first do all the things Timber advised and then to grow a
tall staking variety pruned to one stem.
When growing tomatoes during the rainy season in tropical Africa we had
problems with fungal deseases (symptons not unlike your description).
Spraying once a week with an appropriate fungicide before the first symptons
of the desease was effective in preventing fungal dieases.
Some tomatoe varieties are resistant to wilt deseases. Wilt deseases are the
worst and usually result in death of the plant. They may be caused by
bacteria or virus and are carried in the soil but one wilt desease may be
carried by thrips from host plants (not necessarily tomatoes).
Mike Stickney

"Timber" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

news