Old 03-02-2003, 03:17 AM
Polar

Default 50 strawberry plants!

My bare-roots finally arrived, yippee!

Have put them all in: 25 Quinault, 25 Ft. Laramie,
and am dying to see how they taste, after years of
buying whatever is on sale in local nurseries (mainly Sequoia)

Can't wait...!

--
Polar
Old 04-02-2003, 02:41 AM
Zphysics1

My bare-roots finally arrived, yippee!

Have put them all in: 25 Quinault, 25 Ft. Laramie,
and am dying to see how they taste, after years of
buying whatever is on sale in local nurseries (mainly Sequoia)

Can't wait...!

--
Polar

I think you are near Roger's Garden in Newport Beach/Mission Viejo area. If you
are, try the alpine strawberries, Camarosa and Chandler.

/z.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:51 PM
SugarChile

"Polar" wrote in message
I wouldn't mind trying alpines again. Last time I planted them,
quite a few years ago, they didn't do too well. Somebody told me they
were getting too much direct Western sun. True/False?

They're alpine! They moisture but sharp drainage, and the kind of partial
shade that a mountain understory plant would receive. They're more
adaptable than many alpine or rock plants, but direct Western sun sounds a
bit overwhelming.

They self-seed and volunteer a bit for me (always very welcome) and their
favorite places to show up are the cracks between the flagstones, which are
set in crushed gravel. They can take a lot more sun if their root run is
cool.

For those of you unfamiliar with them, alpine strawberries do NOT set
runners, making them ideal for borders and edgings. The strawberries are
borne in a flush in June, then sporadically until frost. They are smallish,
and never plentiful, but they are absolutely exquisite in flavor. There's a
yellow variety called 'pineapple crush' that I started from seed many years
ago--when they are dead ripe they are heaven on earth, with pineapple
overtones. The yellow varieties are supposed to be prone to bird damage,
but the birds have never bothered mine, red or yellow.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 08-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Paul England

"Polar" wrote in message

My bare-roots finally arrived, yippee!

Snip
buying whatever is on sale in local nurseries (mainly Sequoia)

Can't wait...!

Polar

Polar, I'm thinking of planting strawberries, for the first time this year.
How did you protect the Sequoia from fur and feathered visitors - come
ripening time ?

Regards ........ Paul

Old 08-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Polar

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003 18:01:57 -0000, "Paul England" firstplatz
@virgin.net wrote:

"Polar" wrote in message
.. .

My bare-roots finally arrived, yippee!

Snip
buying whatever is on sale in local nurseries (mainly Sequoia)

Can't wait...!

Polar

Polar, I'm thinking of planting strawberries, for the first time this year.
How did you protect the Sequoia from fur and feathered visitors - come
ripening time ?

Regards ........ Paul

With GREAT difficulty!

Only thing that could work is a covering or dome of some sort.

Some people use chicken wire, small mesh, and bend it into an arch or
whatever shape will fit your planting bed. Do NOT leave loose at the
edges or THEY will find a way in. Maybe not birds, since they don't
like to feel "trapped", but other critters could get in.

Others use the plastic sweet-pea netting, also small mesh. This MUST
be kept fairly tense, or it will sag and permit entry by our avian
and mammalian friends. Therefore it should be tightly attached to
fixed points around the bed.

Both chicken-wire and sweet-pea mesh should allow enough
overhead room for the plants to grow.

Maybe other gardeners will present alternative solutions.

Good luck and enjoy your strawberries.

--
Polar
Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Patskywriter

wow! you're starting out with 50 plants? i started out with six and ended up
with DOZENS! hope you really like strawberries!

pat
Old 09-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Larry Blanchard

In article , "Paul
England" firstplatz @virgin.net says...

Polar, I'm thinking of planting strawberries, for the first time this year.
How did you protect the Sequoia from fur and feathered visitors - come
ripening time ?

I use a 2' chicken wire fence with bird netting across the top. It's
worked so far for birds, rabbits, and skunks, but I doubt it'd slow down
a determined raccoon much.

--
It's turtles - all the way down!

looking for strawberry plants DM Texas 6 12-05-2005 07:39 AM
Propagating Strawberry Plants Antipodean Bucket Farmer Edible Gardening 10 08-02-2005 02:57 AM
Recommended online company for strawberry/raspberry plants? Spenser Edible Gardening 11 10-04-2004 08:03 PM
Recommended online company for strawberry/raspberry plants? Spenser Edible Gardening 3 06-04-2004 09:13 PM
Strawberry plants Judy and Dave G Gardening 3 25-03-2003 05:44 PM