Old 03-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Ann

Default Lawn grass mulch

I prefer using the lawn grass clipping on the garden as mulch. However prior
to the 1st mowing, I apply fertilizer with crabgrass preventative and about
3 other applications of weed&feed throughout the growing season. Would this
be considered a health hazard? Thanks

Old 03-02-2003, 05:10 PM
Penny Morgan

Definitely! Do not use grass clippings that have been treated with any type
of inhibitor or killer. Wait at least 6-8 weeks after applying to use them.
Even then, you're risking exposure to these chemicals leaching into your
food. If it were me, I wouldn't use the clippings. Just mow and let the
clippings feed your lawn instead. I sometimes use dried leaves that have
been mulched in the fall (I save them in a garbage bag in my garage).

I also layer white newspaper sections under the plants and cover with the
leaves or regular (untreated) mulch from a bag. Do you make your own
compost? If you do, this is a great mulch that serves many functions.
Feeds the plants while conserving moisture and breaks down naturally into
the soil adding tilth. I use three commercial bins bought locally for $35
each. You'd be surprised how much mulch I get. Every 6 months I dig out
wheel barrows full and top dress all my gardens. I throw everything in
except weeds, meats, fats and oils. All veggie and fruits, white bread,
coffee and grounds, eggshells, straw, leaves, water, and old plants from the
garden, etc. If I run low on dry material, I use shredded white newspaper,
paper rolls from paper towels, toilet paper and paper towels that have just
been used to dry off surfaces (no fats or oils). If you've got dirt from an
old flower pot or from digging a hole, throw it in too. My bins are usually
overflowing in the fall when I clean up the garden. I think the fun part is
when you get volunteer plants in your garden and you try to guess what it
is. Mine is usually acorn squash, pumpkins or gourds. We throw our
halloween pumpkins and gourds into the compost knowing full well that we'll
reap something in the garden from them. Kids love it.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
newsxw%9.151823$_s4.53554@rwcrnsc54...

Old 03-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Cricket

I wouldn't use them, but I'm 100% organic and not everybody is. For more
information, look up the specific chemicals used and look into their
residual effects. Feel free to ask me for a hand figuring this out.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket

Old 27-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Bill

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 16:12:05 +0000, Ann wrote:

I prefer using the lawn grass clipping on the garden as mulch. However prior
to the 1st mowing, I apply fertilizer with crabgrass preventative and about
3 other applications of weed&feed throughout the growing season. Would this
be considered a health hazard? Thanks

Use 'em. But, because of the crabgrass / weed & feed stuff, put them through a hot
compost pile first. There WILL be residues of those chemicals on the
clippings but the hot compost pile WILL put an end to them.

If you don't know how to run a hot compost pile, make a cold one by
stacking the clippings where they needn't be disturbed for a couple of
years. That's all you have to do. Then, when the clippings are no longer
clippings but have been transformed into compost, use them liberally.

There is no place on the planet where toxic chemicals can not be found.
Just let nature take care of them before using the clippings for mulch.

Bill

Old 02-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Setzler

THere is at least one weed killer that persists for several years, and will kill the
crop you mulch it with. I forget the name of it now, but I would seriously consider
not using any of it on your grass if you are interested in health hazards.

susan