GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Seville oranges in Seattle (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/489-re-seville-oranges-seattle.html)

Charles P. Burton 04-02-2003 06:41 PM

Seville oranges in Seattle

I could be mistaken but I had thought that all citrus would lose blossoms
and fruit at around 30 degrees and sustain very serious damage to the tree
at anything below 25 degrees or so.

In cool climates that do not freeze there are many citrus plants that will
grow and fruit.

Chuck

I'm just curious, does anybody know what kind of oranges grow
in a cooler temperate climate (Nort East U.S.)? I once saw from a
distance what I thought must be an apple tree, When I came closer
I realized that the round fruit were oranges. The tree was fairly
large (~2.5'trunk diameter over 30' high) and the oranges were sour
with very thick rinds. Could this have been a seville orange tree?

Not the Karl Orff 05-02-2003 03:20 PM

Seville oranges in Seattle

In article ,
"Charles P. Burton" anonymous@anonymous wrote:

I could be mistaken but I had thought that all citrus would lose blossoms
and fruit at around 30 degrees and sustain very serious damage to the tree
at anything below 25 degrees or so.

Maybe so but pomelos have been cultivated in parts of north central
China for millenia and I don't think those regions are frost free.