Old 31-12-2003, 04:42 AM
Burger King

Default Blood Meal and Mad Cow question for the group.

Greetings.
I have been gardening using blood meal
along with "Plant Tone" which is
made with animal products.
I was wondering what your thoughts were about the
safety of these products,
and if anyone here used them.
I also use composted cow manure (Black Kow).
Cheers!
B.K.
Old 31-12-2003, 04:13 PM
shazzbat

"Burger King" wrote in message

Greetings.
I have been gardening using blood meal
along with "Plant Tone" which is
made with animal products.
I was wondering what your thoughts were about the
safety of these products,
and if anyone here used them.
I also use composted cow manure (Black Kow).
Cheers!
B.K.

My thoughts are that you've got more chance of flying to the moon than
contracting anything that way.

We in the UK have been there already.

Mind you, I'm a bicycle:-))

Old 31-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Steve Peek

I still wear a dust mask while using bone meal.
Just my $.02.
Steve
shazzbat wrote in message ...

.. .

Old 01-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Jan Flora

They don't make bone meal out of ruminant bones anymore, because
the steam process doesn't kill the BSE prions.

I don't know about blood meal. I'll ask my state veterinarian when I talk
to him and report back. (He's the one who told me it's safe to use bone
meal in the garden again.)

Jan

Old 01-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Lorenzo L. Love

Jan Flora wrote:

They don't make bone meal out of ruminant bones anymore, because
the steam process doesn't kill the BSE prions.

I don't know about blood meal. I'll ask my state veterinarian when I talk
to him and report back. (He's the one who told me it's safe to use bone
meal in the garden again.)

Jan

What do they make bone meal out of?

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”
Cicero

Old 03-01-2004, 04:33 AM
Jan Flora

In article k.net,
"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:

They don't make bone meal out of ruminant bones anymore, because
the steam process doesn't kill the BSE prions.

I don't know about blood meal. I'll ask my state veterinarian when I talk
to him and report back. (He's the one who told me it's safe to use bone
meal in the garden again.)

Jan

What do they make bone meal out of?

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

³If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.²
Cicero

Ground up bones! Before Mad Cow disease hit, they ground up cow bones.
They probably grind up horse bones or something now. They're using bones
from animals that can't get BSE.

Jan
Old 03-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

Jan Flora wrote:

In article k.net,
"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:

They don't make bone meal out of ruminant bones anymore, because
the steam process doesn't kill the BSE prions.

I don't know about blood meal. I'll ask my state veterinarian when I talk
to him and report back. (He's the one who told me it's safe to use bone
meal in the garden again.)

Jan

What do they make bone meal out of?

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

³If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.²
Cicero

Ground up bones! Before Mad Cow disease hit, they ground up cow bones.
They probably grind up horse bones or something now. They're using bones
from animals that can't get BSE.

Jan

You have a reference for this or is it something you just made up? Some
countries including the U.S. have banned the use of cow bone meal in cow
feed and soon most countries may do that, but this has nothing to do
with the use of bone meal as a garden soil supplement.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and
security may come at a substantial price in freedom, that law and order
can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual liberties
surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost."
Walter Cronkite, in the preface to the 1984 edition of 1984