GardenBanter.co.uk

GardenBanter.co.uk (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/)
-   Edible Gardening (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/)
-   -   Why does store bought spinach include so much mud (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/49655-why-does-store-bought-spinach-include-so-much-mud.html)

hort-4 04-01-2004 11:32 AM

Why does store bought spinach include so much mud
 
I can't grow spinach. Snails are a problem. I live in long dry season area.
And doesn't spinach prefers northern latitudes? Cool with long days?

So, if I grew spinach I might know the answer to this:
Why does store bought spinach include so much mud?
Also, I notice the mud usually has some sand content.




-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Henriette Kress 04-01-2004 01:02 PM

Why does store bought spinach include so much mud
 
hort-4 wrote:

I can't grow spinach. Snails are a problem. I live in long dry season area.
And doesn't spinach prefers northern latitudes? Cool with long days?

So, if I grew spinach I might know the answer to this:
Why does store bought spinach include so much mud?
Also, I notice the mud usually has some sand content.


Rain. If strong enough it'll splatter mud up on plants; and if plants are
picked when it rains you'll get mud, too.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Best of RHOD: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/rhod

Steve 04-01-2004 05:43 PM

Why does store bought spinach include so much mud
 
My wife buys sealed bags of fresh spinach at the store. We have it all
the time. It always looks clean enough to eat right out of the bag.
I've often noticed how clean it is and wondered if it might be grown
hydroponically.

Steve

hort-4 wrote:

I can't grow spinach. Snails are a problem. I live in long dry season area.
And doesn't spinach prefers northern latitudes? Cool with long days?

So, if I grew spinach I might know the answer to this:
Why does store bought spinach include so much mud?
Also, I notice the mud usually has some sand content.




-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----



simy1 04-01-2004 07:02 PM

Why does store bought spinach include so much mud
 
Henriette Kress wrote in message news:[email protected]
hort-4 wrote:

I can't grow spinach. Snails are a problem. I live in long dry season area.
And doesn't spinach prefers northern latitudes? Cool with long days?

So, if I grew spinach I might know the answer to this:
Why does store bought spinach include so much mud?
Also, I notice the mud usually has some sand content.


Rain. If strong enough it'll splatter mud up on plants; and if plants are
picked when it rains you'll get mud, too.

Henriette


one more reason to mulch absolutely everything in the garden. and for
this reason alone I am planting seedlings for everything now, right
through the mulch, except for tatsoi and arugula. my greens are always
clean, though they were not in the past when I was direct seeding.

Henriette Kress 04-01-2004 07:42 PM

Why does store bought spinach include so much mud
 
simy1 wrote:
Henriette Kress wrote

Rain. If strong enough it'll splatter mud up on plants; and if plants are
picked when it rains you'll get mud, too.


one more reason to mulch absolutely everything in the garden. and for
this reason alone I am planting seedlings for everything now, right
through the mulch, except for tatsoi and arugula. my greens are always
clean, though they were not in the past when I was direct seeding.


?? What's wrong with mud? In small amounts it's _good_ for you. Also,
mulch harbors things like snails ... far more icky than a bit of clean
dirt.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Best of RHOD: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/rhod

simy1 04-01-2004 10:02 PM

Why does store bought spinach include so much mud
 
Henriette Kress wrote in message news:[email protected]
simy1 wrote:
Henriette Kress wrote

Rain. If strong enough it'll splatter mud up on plants; and if plants are
picked when it rains you'll get mud, too.


one more reason to mulch absolutely everything in the garden. and for
this reason alone I am planting seedlings for everything now, right
through the mulch, except for tatsoi and arugula. my greens are always
clean, though they were not in the past when I was direct seeding.


?? What's wrong with mud? In small amounts it's _good_ for you. Also,
mulch harbors things like snails ... far more icky than a bit of clean
dirt.

Henriette


two things: one, in my sandy soil mud is quite gritty and two, after a
big rainstorm lettuce heads are half brown. I eat greens every day and
those that are mulched require no washing even after rain.

Nick Apostolakis 23-01-2004 02:04 PM

Why does store bought spinach include so much mud
 
Steve wrote:
My wife buys sealed bags of fresh spinach at the store. We have it all
the time. It always looks clean enough to eat right out of the bag.
I've often noticed how clean it is and wondered if it might be grown
hydroponically.

Steve


if the bags are sealed then there is a high propability
that they wash them first (and perhaps process them in other ways too)

Wrench 23-01-2004 02:42 PM

Why does store bought spinach include so much mud
 
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:56:02 +0200, Nick Apostolakis
wrote:

My wife buys sealed bags of fresh spinach at the store. We have it all
the time. It always looks clean enough to eat right out of the bag.
I've often noticed how clean it is and wondered if it might be grown
hydroponically.


if the bags are sealed then there is a high propability
that they wash them first (and perhaps process them in other ways too)


I work in a plant where we wash and bag fresh spinach. If it is
muddy in the fields when it is harvested the spinach comes in extremly
muddy. We send ours thru a double "log flume" type wash system before
spin drying and packing. And even then it still sometimes has a little
grit left in it.



Wrench

Steve 23-01-2004 07:42 PM

Why does store bought spinach include so much mud
 


Wrench wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:56:02 +0200, Nick Apostolakis
wrote:


My wife buys sealed bags of fresh spinach at the store. We have it all
the time. It always looks clean enough to eat right out of the bag.
I've often noticed how clean it is and wondered if it might be grown
hydroponically.



if the bags are sealed then there is a high propability
that they wash them first (and perhaps process them in other ways too)



I work in a plant where we wash and bag fresh spinach. If it is
muddy in the fields when it is harvested the spinach comes in extremly
muddy. We send ours thru a double "log flume" type wash system before
spin drying and packing. And even then it still sometimes has a little
grit left in it.
Wrench




Just for the heck of it, I looked to see if we had any of that bagged
spinach at the moment. We do and this bag is from Dole. (Usually it had
been some less known brand.) Right on this bag it says triple washed.

Steve



Nick Apostolakis 26-01-2004 06:28 PM

Why does store bought spinach include so much mud
 



Just for the heck of it, I looked to see if we had any of that bagged
spinach at the moment. We do and this bag is from Dole. (Usually it had
been some less known brand.) Right on this bag it says triple washed.

Steve



yes of course and usually when they are bagged they may be proccessed in
other ways too.
in fruits for example you may have arificially maturing procceses
or colour improvement processess or sterilization through radiation
in nuts for example and stuff like that
--



--------------------------------------------------------------
Nick Apostolakis
e-mail:
Web Site:
http://agriroot.aua.gr/~nickapos
--------------------------------------------------------------

Nick Apostolakis 26-01-2004 06:28 PM

Why does store bought spinach include so much mud
 



Just for the heck of it, I looked to see if we had any of that bagged
spinach at the moment. We do and this bag is from Dole. (Usually it had
been some less known brand.) Right on this bag it says triple washed.

Steve



yes of course and usually when they are bagged they may be proccessed in
other ways too.
in fruits for example you may have arificially maturing procceses
or colour improvement processess or sterilization through radiation
in nuts for example and stuff like that
--



--------------------------------------------------------------
Nick Apostolakis
e-mail:
Web Site:
http://agriroot.aua.gr/~nickapos
--------------------------------------------------------------

Nick Apostolakis 26-01-2004 07:16 PM

Why does store bought spinach include so much mud
 



Just for the heck of it, I looked to see if we had any of that bagged
spinach at the moment. We do and this bag is from Dole. (Usually it had
been some less known brand.) Right on this bag it says triple washed.

Steve



yes of course and usually when they are bagged they may be proccessed in
other ways too.
in fruits for example you may have arificially maturing procceses
or colour improvement processess or sterilization through radiation
in nuts for example and stuff like that
--



--------------------------------------------------------------
Nick Apostolakis
e-mail:
Web Site:
http://agriroot.aua.gr/~nickapos
--------------------------------------------------------------


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
GardenBanter