Old 08-02-2003, 01:28 AM
samuel l crowe

Default Red Sails

this is a great lettuce and it is found in supermarkets here but I am not
familiar with Publix
It will not take a lot of heat, I have it growing now both in the hoop house
and outside and we have had temps in the upper teens.
Happy gardening

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

"James Mayer" wrote in message
Is that the same as the red leaf lettuce they sell in stores like
Publix? How does it do in Florida? Will it take the heat? Will it
grow all year long in the Tampa area?

Old 08-02-2003, 02:43 AM
Cricket

You might try Pablo Batavian Lettuce for a similar leaved red lettuce with
more hear resistance. Sweet Valentine is also good, but more of a red
romaine. Some good green lettuces with market potential and high heat
resistance are Anuenue, Ermosa, Cosmo, Vanity, and Nevada. But Pablo
Batavian is what I would recommend for a heat resistant Red Sails type.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket

Old 08-02-2003, 04:56 AM
James Mayer

Old 08-02-2003, 07:02 AM
James Mayer

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 20:28:37 -0500, "samuel l crowe"
wrote:

this is a great lettuce and it is found in supermarkets here but I am not
familiar with Publix

Being that it could be the same, then it is a great lettuce.

It will not take a lot of heat,

I should then plant it in some shade or cooler area of the garden
if I want it to grow during the summer months down here.

I have it growing now both in the hoop house
and outside and we have had temps in the upper teens.

Then it would have survived our little 3 day "freeze" we had that
decimated most of my tomato plants that I had nice fruit on.

Happy gardening

Thanks and I will. I just got my tiller fixed this year and
covered the whole yard in 4" of compost and tilled it in and am having
quite good results so far in what used to be little more than sand.