GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strawberry questions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/49733-strawberry-questions.html)

David Bunch 05-01-2004 11:08 PM

Strawberry questions

Here is my goal- I would like to sell strawberries this summer at local
farmers markets. I enjoy gardening and being outdoors, but I do have a few
questions.

(1) If I try to get a crop of strawberries the first year I have my plants,
will that harm future strawberry plant production?
(2) What can I do to boost my first year strawberry crop? Would potting
soil and liberal fertilizer use help?
(3) Space is not an issue, I have several acres I can utilize. What would
be the best way to plant about 400 strawberry plants?

I live in Louisville Kentucky.

Thanks
David B

Charles Quinn 05-01-2004 11:42 PM

Strawberry questions

In article FClKb.230358$8y1.978295@attbi_s52, "David Bunch" wrote:
Here is my goal- I would like to sell strawberries this summer at local
farmers markets. I enjoy gardening and being outdoors, but I do have a few
questions.

(1) If I try to get a crop of strawberries the first year I have my plants,
will that harm future strawberry plant production?
(2) What can I do to boost my first year strawberry crop? Would potting
soil and liberal fertilizer use help?
(3) Space is not an issue, I have several acres I can utilize. What would
be the best way to plant about 400 strawberry plants?

I live in Louisville Kentucky.

Here is how commercial growers do it

http://www.berries4u.com/growing.htm

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved