Old 12-02-2004, 04:38 AM
Daniel Prince

Default Solarizing the soil

I am attempting to solarizing the soil in one of my garden plots because
last year all my tomatoes had nematodes. I am using the instructions in
the "Sunset Western Garden Problem Solver" except that I am using 6 mil
plastic because that is what my brother bought.

I put the remote probe from a digital thermometer on the soil surface in
the middle of the 4 foot by 20 foot bed and so far the highest
temperature I have gotten was 112 degrees F. Is that hot enough to kill
nematodes? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
Old 13-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Nicole H

I don't solarize until the summer and I"m in the central valley of CA. Our
temps frequently go over 100.

Planting marigolds help with nematodes around tomatoes. And don't forget to
rotate your crops.

HTH
Nicole
BTW, 112 is not high enuf to solarize

--
3 of every 10 Americans Know Someone With Lupus
Help find the cure. www.lupus.org

Old 13-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Nicole H

Articles
http://www.mastergardeners.org/projects/nematode.html

the site imo

http://vric.ucdavis.edu/usesites/ressite.htm

Old 15-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Daniel Prince

"Nicole H" wrote:

112 is not high enuf to solarize

How hot does the soil need to get to kill most of the tomato nematodes?

Old 23-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Nicole H

I don't know if solarizing kills nematodes. You can always call your local
cooperative extension and they can answer all your questions.
I know planting marigold flowers around tomatoes help w/nematodes
Nicole

--
"Nicole H" wrote:

112 is not high enuf to solarize

How hot does the soil need to get to kill most of the tomato nematodes?
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

Solarizing with cold frames Frank Gardening 4 21-06-2008 08:20 AM
Solarizing the soil Daniel Prince Edible Gardening 0 12-02-2004 04:30 AM
solarizing compost Edible Gardening 7 07-09-2003 10:12 PM
Tarwi can grow in acid soil, fix nitrogen, kill a potato soil nematode, and its seed can yield a gre briancady413 Permaculture 0 09-08-2003 09:23 AM
recommendations for great top soil or soil with perlite? Linda North Carolina 8 01-05-2003 06:47 PM