GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Caterpillars Targeting Broccoli And Cauliflower? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/52559-caterpillars-targeting-broccoli-cauliflower.html)

Antipodean Bucket Farmer 14-02-2004 06:42 AM

Caterpillars Targeting Broccoli And Cauliflower?

Hi Everybody,

I have experienced a caterpillar attack on my broccoli
and then similar-appearing damage to my cauliflower.

The broccoli was an obvious victim, since I caught them
in the act, swarming on the head of a couple of plants
one morning. The cauliflower have recieved lots of
holes in the the leaves, just like a previous symptom
on the broccoli. And I also found a bunch of apparant
larvae on one of the cauliflower leaves.

However, other vegetables in the same area were left
alone.

Is this just a coincidence? Just a random, one-time
distribution of the caterpillar population? Or does
this indicate some dietary preference?

This specific gang of perpetrators are each about a
centemetre or so long, neon-green, and walk with a sort
of "inch-worm" type wave through their body (but the
legs are obvious.) I think the butterfly version is a
small, white variety.

Comments? Thanks.

-V.

--
Guide To DIY Living
http://www.self-reliance.co.nz

WiGard 14-02-2004 01:04 PM

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:33:35 -0800, Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the cabbage moth. Treat the plants with
Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis), a naturally occurring
bacteria that attacks the digestive systems of caterpillar and which is
not harmful to humans. The critters have discovered an easy food source.
Do you really think they will breed once and move onward? You will have
to spray at regular intervals, perhaps once a week. The other option is
to yank the plants and grow something else.

Pat Kiewicz 14-02-2004 01:17 PM

Antipodean Bucket Farmer said:

Hi Everybody,

I have experienced a caterpillar attack on my broccoli
and then similar-appearing damage to my cauliflower.
snip
This specific gang of perpetrators are each about a
centemetre or so long, neon-green, and walk with a sort
of "inch-worm" type wave through their body (but the
legs are obvious.) I think the butterfly version is a
small, white variety.

Cabbage loopers -- the larva of a small gray-brown night-flying moth.
They heavily prefer plants in the cabbage family but will also feed on
alfalfa, peas, beets, lettuce, and some flowers.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r114300711.html

The cabbage white butterfly's caterpiller does not walk by hunching up.
It specializes in cabbage family members (crucifers) only.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Steve 14-02-2004 05:03 PM

Caterpillars Targeting Broccoli And Cauliflower?

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I have experienced a caterpillar attack on my broccoli
and then similar-appearing damage to my cauliflower.
However, other vegetables in the same area were left
alone.

Is this just a coincidence?...............................

This specific gang of perpetrators are each about a
centemetre or so long, neon-green, and walk with a sort
of "inch-worm" type wave through their body (but the
legs are obvious.) I think the butterfly version is a
small, white variety.

Comments?..............

Well, the inch worm description makes it sound like a cabbage
looper. The neon-green and white butterfly parts make it sound like
cabbage worms. Maybe you hit the jack pot and have both. ;-)

Cabbage worms can be hard to spot when they are small. They tend to
just lay there next to a leaf vein or leaf edge and blend in. With
either caterpillar, it's no coincidence that they only go for the
cauliflower and broccoli. Those plants, and other plants in the
cabbage family are all they want to eat.

As one or more than one person has said, BT is the best cure for any
of these caterpillars. I've had very good results results with
products like Dipel that are a powder that you mix with water and
spray on. I once needed some new BT and could only find the kind
that comes in a shaker can to be sifted right onto the plant. For
what ever reason, that didn't work at all.

Steve in the Adirondacks
PS I see this is going to 3 newsgroups and I only read R.G.E so I
don't know wow much information I am repeating.

Don Bruder 14-02-2004 06:02 PM

Caterpillars Targeting Broccoli And Cauliflower?

In article ,
Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I have experienced a caterpillar attack on my broccoli
and then similar-appearing damage to my cauliflower.

Is this just a coincidence? Just a random, one-time
distribution of the caterpillar population? Or does
this indicate some dietary preference?

Serious dietary preference.

This specific gang of perpetrators are each about a
centemetre or so long, neon-green, and walk with a sort
of "inch-worm" type wave through their body (but the
legs are obvious.) I think the butterfly version is a
small, white variety.

Comments? Thanks.

-V.

Sounds like a perfect description of Cabbage Loopers. As the name
implies, cabbage is their preferred food, but Broccoli, Cauliflower, and
Brussel Sprouts (possibly Endive and Chard as well, but we never grew
those at home, so I don't know first-hand) are close enough relatives
that they'll attack them, too, especially if there's no actual cabbage
in your garden patch. Pretty much anything else is immune to all but the
most minor "trial nibbles" from these little beasties.

Only thing I know to do for them is Sevin dust, although I've heard some
folks claim that a concoction called "Safer's Soap" can be useful.

--
Don Bruder - --- Preferred Email - SpamAssassinated.
Hate SPAM? See

Offbreed 14-02-2004 09:47 PM

Steve wrote:

once needed some new BT and could only find the kind that comes in a
shaker can to be sifted right onto the plant. For what ever reason, that
didn't work at all.

How do you get the underside of the leaves where most bugs and
catipillars like to hide?

Steve 15-02-2004 02:36 AM

Offbreed wrote:
Steve wrote:

once needed some new BT and could only find the kind that comes in a
shaker can to be sifted right onto the plant. For what ever reason,
that didn't work at all.

How do you get the underside of the leaves where most bugs and
catipillars like to hide?

Well, with that kind of product, I couldn't. That shouldn't matter
with a BT product. Since it doesn't kill by contact, you don't have
to get it on the hiding caterpillars. You just have to put it where
they will eat it. I was trying to kill cabbage worms and they eat a
hole right through the leaf. Coverage of the upper surface would do it.
As I said, it didn't work. Perhaps it was old, perhaps it had too
low a concentration from the beginning. Maybe enough didn't stick to
the leaves to do the job. Dipel mixed with water and sprayed on
works every time.

Steve

Penny Morgan 15-02-2004 01:35 PM

Caterpillars Targeting Broccoli And Cauliflower?

Cabbage Loopers are just about guaranteed to appear on broccoli and
cauliflower. They are very common and usually don't disturb other
vegetables.

You can use Bt powder (Dipel Dust) or the liquid form called Thuricide.
It's an organic bacteria that targets just caterpillars or chewing larvae.
Just follow the directions on the label and you'll be fine.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

[email protected] 17-02-2004 06:27 PM

Caterpillars Targeting Broccoli And Cauliflower?

or just toss a floating row cover on em to keep the moths from laying eggs.

"Penny Morgan" wrote:

Cabbage Loopers are just about guaranteed to appear on broccoli and
cauliflower. They are very common and usually don't disturb other
vegetables.

You can use Bt powder (Dipel Dust) or the liquid form called Thuricide.
It's an organic bacteria that targets just caterpillars or chewing larvae.
Just follow the directions on the label and you'll be fine.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Joseph S. Larson 25-02-2004 01:57 PM

Caterpillars Targeting Broccoli And Cauliflower?

Sounds like the attack of the Cabbage Butterfly. Don't despair, just
get some BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) from your garden center, mix it up,
spray it on, repeat according to package directions. It's a bacillus
that kills only caterpillars, not toxic to you (organic approved), and
one of the few sprays I bother to put on my garden. It's sold under a
number of brand names: just ask for BT at the garden center. If
shopping at a big box store where the help knows nada about gardening,
just look at the ingredients label till you find one that says BT, and
FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS on the label. (Shouting because so many don't
read all directions, think more is good, and end up poisoning the world
or at least wasting product!) Good luck. W.

[...]

Joseph S. Larson
27 Arnold Road
Pelham, MA 01002-9757
413-256-8256