Old 18-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Andrew McMichael

Default This years' garden

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions for catalogues and tomato
varieties. It’s almost time to start seeds indoors here, which is
exciting. Here’s what’s going in the garden this season:

Radishes:
Sparkler
Red Mammoth
Black Spanish
Cherry Belle
China Rose
Crimson Giant
French Breakfast
German Beer
German Giant

Peppers:
Thai Hot
Scotch Bonnet
Habanero
Japapeno
Ancho
Anaheim
Serrano
Marconi
Mix Bell Peppers

Cucumber:
Marketmore
Poinsett 76

Eggplant:
Swallow
Udmalbet
Listada De Gandia

Tomato:
Black Krim
Black Prince
Red Brandywine
Cherokee Purple
Pruden’s Purple
Stupice
Super Boy
Super Sweet 100s
Fourth of July

Greens:
Seven Top Turnip
Golden Ball Turnip
Purple Top Turnip
Georgia Collards
Dwarf Blue Kale
Florida Broad Leaf Mustard Green

Beans:
Alaska Pea
Sugar Daddy Snap Pea
Blue Lake Bush Bean
Gator Green Bush Bean
Early Contender Bush
Kentucky Pole Bean

Squash:
Burpee’s Hybrid Zucchini
Burpee’s Golden Squash
Richgreen Hybrid
Dixie [Yellow Crookneck]
Eight Ball Zucchini [Round, about the size of a softball]
Papaya Pear Yellow Squash [same]
Sunburst [Patty Pan]

Pumpkins:
Orange Smoothie
Ghost Rider

Gourds:
Birdhouse Gourd
Martin House Gourd

Detroit Dark Red Beet
Black Diamond Watermelon

--
"It's all WiFi up there."-Alice Faber parses the afterlife.

Old 18-02-2004, 05:32 PM
Henriette Kress

Andrew McMichael wrote:

Squash:
Burpee's Hybrid Zucchini
Burpee's Golden Squash
Richgreen Hybrid
Dixie [Yellow Crookneck]
Eight Ball Zucchini [Round, about the size of a softball]
Papaya Pear Yellow Squash [same]
Sunburst [Patty Pan]

Pumpkins:
Orange Smoothie
Ghost Rider

Gourds:
Birdhouse Gourd
Martin House Gourd

You have very different priorities on the pumpkin kin. The most
important ones, to me, are spaghetti squash and Sweet Mama.

Zucchinis aren't allowed anywhere near my garden; the four plants
I grew by mistake once (bought as spaghetti squash) got pulled up
the minute they showed their true colors.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Old 18-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Mark

Andrew McMichael wrote in message ...
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions for catalogues and tomato
varieties. It’s almost time to start seeds indoors here, which is
exciting. Here’s what’s going in the garden this season:

How big is your garden?!

Mark
Old 18-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Andrew McMichael

Mark wrote:

Andrew McMichael wrote in message ...

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions for catalogues and tomato
varieties. It’s almost time to start seeds indoors here, which is
exciting. Here’s what’s going in the garden this season:

How big is your garden?!

About 5000 square feet, or so.

--
"It's all WiFi up there."-Alice Faber parses the afterlife.

Old 18-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Andrew McMichael

Henriette Kress wrote:

You have very different priorities on the pumpkin kin. The most
important ones, to me, are spaghetti squash and Sweet Mama.

I love spaghetti squash. But the plants don't produce the abundance per
plant [for me] that others do.

Zucchinis aren't allowed anywhere near my garden; the four plants
I grew by mistake once (bought as spaghetti squash) got pulled up
the minute they showed their true colors.

Oh man, I love zucchs. Lunch for me last year, for about 2 weeks or so,
was 2 fresh tomatoes [with basil, salt, and pepper], 2 fresh zucchs, and
about a half-dozen fresh plums from the tree [golf-ball sized plum,
variety unknown].

Andrew

--
"It's all WiFi up there."-Alice Faber parses the afterlife.

Old 19-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Mark

Mark wrote:

Andrew McMichael wrote in message ...

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions for catalogues and tomato
varieties. It’s almost time to start seeds indoors here, which is
exciting. Here’s what’s going in the garden this season:

How big is your garden?!

About 5000 square feet, or so.

I only have about 200 square feet of actual garden space, but it's all
raised beds, so I can plant a little more densely than I would in a
traditional "row-type" garden.

We still managed to grow about 30 different types of stuff last year.
Not a lot of any one thing, but a little of lots of different things.

Mark