Old 24-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Dawn

Default recommendations for tomatoes in Missouri

Howdy,

It's starting to thaw here and while we're nowhere near ready to plant,
I'm starting to consider what I want to grow this year. I'm looking for
advice on a tomato plant for my region, Missouri, zone 5 near KC, in the
city actually, but we have a big yard in an old neighborhood.

I planted Better Boy last year but wasn't exactly happy with the
results. We had a lovely spring, then an incredibly muggy and dry summer
and by August the plants were falling over and by the time the heat
broke and they went back into fruit production I had lost all but one
plant. I'd really like something that can stand our hot and dry summers.
I don't know how it manages to be so humid and everything I plant still
dries up.

Anyway, we like to eat the tomatoes off the vine in the summer with a
salad, and I like to freeze the extras for soup in the winter. They
don't have to be the biggest tomatoes in the world, but we would like
something with good flavor.

Also, if anyone locally has suggestions for other easy to grow
vegetables, I'd appreciate the advice. I don't know anyone else in town
who gardens. We did well with broccoli last year, I may go for that
again. We've tried corn, but it hasn't matured well. I'd like to try a
melon or a squash again. I had an unknown melon variety last year that
had absolutely no flavor. Smelled great though.

Dawn

Old 24-02-2004, 06:40 PM
The Watcher

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:43:19 GMT, Dawn wrote:

Howdy,

It's starting to thaw here and while we're nowhere near ready to plant,
I'm starting to consider what I want to grow this year. I'm looking for
advice on a tomato plant for my region, Missouri, zone 5 near KC, in the
city actually, but we have a big yard in an old neighborhood.

I'm just south of the Missouri state line, in Harrison, Arkansas. The best
tasting variety of tomato I've raised so far is Black Krim. It does well in this
area. Doesn't produce as many tomatoes as some other varieties, but the taste is
the best.
(snip)

Old 24-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Dawn

In field trials by the University of Missouri, these cultivars did well,'BHN
543', 'Florida 91', 'HMX 0800' and 'Mountain Fresh' . This would seem to
indicate that your area is conducive to the more heat tolerant varieties
normally associated with Florida and the Southwest.

and

I'm just south of the Missouri state line, in Harrison, Arkansas. The best
tasting variety of tomato I've raised so far is Black Krim. It does

well in this
area. Doesn't produce as many tomatoes as some other varieties, but

the taste is
the best.

All right, sounds good to me. Where do I find these? Somehow they don't
sound like varieties I have ever seen for sale around here.

Dawn

Old 25-02-2004, 07:00 PM
The Watcher

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:29:17 GMT, Dawn wrote:

In field trials by the University of Missouri, these cultivars did well,'BHN
543', 'Florida 91', 'HMX 0800' and 'Mountain Fresh' . This would seem to
indicate that your area is conducive to the more heat tolerant varieties
normally associated with Florida and the Southwest.

and

I'm just south of the Missouri state line, in Harrison, Arkansas. The best
tasting variety of tomato I've raised so far is Black Krim. It does

well in this
area. Doesn't produce as many tomatoes as some other varieties, but

the taste is
the best.

All right, sounds good to me. Where do I find these? Somehow they don't
sound like varieties I have ever seen for sale around here.

Had to check my supply of seed. If you send your address to me at
I can send you some.

Old 25-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Violet

Check with your state's Extension Service:
http://roundrobin2001.0catch.com/extensions.html

Each county has it's own Cooperative Extension Office which provides
free publications and information for the asking.

The following two images are excerpts from the "Vegetable Planting and
Planning Calendar for Missouri" complete with spring and fall planting
dates, how much to plant per person, etc. Just call up the office in
your county. Look under the "Government" section (usually blue pages)
of your phone book under "Extension". They will have valuable
vegetable/gardening tables available specifically for your area from
data they've collected from growing those crops in your state.

http://www.conservationcafe.com/albu...063/vegcal.jpg

http://www.conservationcafe.com/albu...63/vegplan.jpg

Violet
http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/Violet_Z6