GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   potted herbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/54425-potted-herbs.html)

Margo 04-03-2004 02:07 AM

potted herbs

I grew a number of different herbs in a planter last summer in direct
sunlight. Sage, mint, and basil. They all thrived during the summer
but died late in the fall. ANy suggestions to prevent this from
happening this year?

Jan Flora 04-03-2004 06:36 AM

potted herbs

In article ,
(Margo) wrote:

I grew a number of different herbs in a planter last summer in direct
sunlight. Sage, mint, and basil. They all thrived during the summer
but died late in the fall. ANy suggestions to prevent this from
happening this year?

Bring them in the house before the first frost. Or take cuttings from
them before first frost, and grow them on your kitchen windowsill
all winter in small pots.

Jan

Frogleg 04-03-2004 11:32 AM

potted herbs

On 3 Mar 2004 18:02:42 -0800, (Margo) wrote:

I grew a number of different herbs in a planter last summer in direct
sunlight. Sage, mint, and basil. They all thrived during the summer
but died late in the fall. ANy suggestions to prevent this from
happening this year?

Where are you? (USDA zone or location)

Basil is a frost-tender annual. It is definitely dead. Mint is a
perennial that dies down after frost, but revives (and spreads) in
spring. Sage is a perennial which varys in hardiness -- green-leafed
is hardy to zone 5.

Loki 04-03-2004 08:52 PM

potted herbs

il 3 Mar 2004 18:02:42 -0800, (Margo) ha scritto:

I grew a number of different herbs in a planter last summer in direct
sunlight. Sage, mint, and basil. They all thrived during the summer
but died late in the fall. ANy suggestions to prevent this from
happening this year?

Don't have winter? Many plants take a break over winter.
Mint in the open will die back in winter but regrow in spring. My
sage bush stays alive but is dormant in winter. Basil, don't know if
it would stay alive longer if it was warm but just keep the seeds and
start again. :-)
--
Cheers,