Old 13-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Loki

Default Cats - ongoing problem

il Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:33:11 -0600, Katra ha scritto:

In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

il Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:27:31 -0600, Katra ha scritto:

I use white vinegar to totally and permanently eradicate the odor of cat
spray, but I'm not sure that that is a viable solution to your problem.
;-)

Best bet is time and sunshine and to totally eliminate the problem,
fence the yard and get a dog.

Or if that is not an option, plant a large patch of catnip nearby, (it's
a mint so grows easily and spreads) to attract the cats away from the
main garden.

Good luck!

Even better, plant the mint in the neighbours' gardens, :-) I'll have
to do that myself

Good idea. G
Herbs are available right now at Wal-Mart. I even found some catnip
there!

I have the same problem, so I will try that white vinegar too. I've
found the smell takes weeks to go and who wants to eat urinated
greens anyway? I wonder if a mild vinegar/water solution would harm
the plants? Presently I'm thinking a physical barrier is the only way
to be sure.

If you don't want to put up a full fence, a low hotwire will probably
do, and it's harmless and not unsightly. Tractor supply carries kits.
This also tends to keep rabbits and squirrels out of the garden.

Picture a cat spraying on a hotwire! eg

Hmm an electric fence, sounds sneaky. I like it. :-))

Ok, prolly not funny and I'm a cat lover too, but I DO get sick of cat
spray from neighbors cats that should NOT be running loose.

This being Texas, with alkaline water and soil from limestone, a little
acidity added to the soil probably won't hurt. Just be careful!

Perhaps I should mention I live 10,000 miles away in New Zealand, so
the soil of Texas is a bit faaaaaar away. ;-) Our soil is more
volcanic in nature. I was more concerned about the plants I sprayed.
We're just entering autumn too. I've just realised the mint may not
grow over winter (darn it).
--
Cheers,

Old 13-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Nicole Thompson

One more thing....
Do you have Boxwood shrubs nearby?
Boxwood smells like cat urine and at certain times of the year, it's *very*
potent!
We took two down at our house b/c our entire entryway (inside the house)
*reeked* of what seemed like cat urine, but once the Boxwood shrubs were
gone, so was the smell! They were seriously neglected anyway, so it was a
double-blessing! (Just bought our neglected house a little over a year ago.)

Just thought I'd mention it.......

If you're having any trouble w/deer or rabbits, I found a solution to that
as well......
Take old margarine containers - any size will work - (w/the lids) and poke
small holes (w/an ice pick) around the top rim of the container the whole
way around (*slightly* below). Fill container w/mothballs (or the flakes -
whichever you prefer) and be sure to put the lid (w/NO holes) back on. Set
these around the perimeter of your garden edge (about 10' apart) and
rodent-type critters will NOT bother the garden anymore, plus, because it's
a "sealed" system and only the smell escapes, there's nothing to harm the
soil or your veggies - and b/c the lid is on there (again w/NO holes), no
rainwater can get in either. You may want to gently shake each one like once
a month (to keep the smell fresh) and check to make certain the containers
remain full - the moth balls slowly disintegrate over time.

I did this w/my family's garden at my grandmother's and her back lot is
overrun w/rabbits, but they not once bothered the garden after setting those
out! They'd sit down there and look up at it, but *nothing* got munched on -
not even the lettuce! However, birds snipping things off was a major problem
to the seedlings for quite a few weeks - esp. the sweet pepper plants!
ggggggggrrrrrrrrrr

Hope that helps,
Nicole

"Mark Thompson" wrote in message
.. .
I followed several articles in this group the last couple of years dealing
with cats and how to keep them out of vegetable gardens.

We finally were able to get rid of our 'feline friends' from our vegetable
garden (more from luck than anything else?)but they're still leaving their
spray in the rest of the garden. We've tried everything to get them out

of
our garden - no luck.

Instead of continuing on this useless quest we're now looking into ways of
negating the smell of cat urine. Does anyone know of any ways to
neautralize this smell?

Any information will be greatly appreciated and used!! The wife planted
lavender, we've used citrus sprays.....any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Gratefully yours,
Mark Thompson

Old 13-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

il Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:33:11 -0600, Katra ha scritto:

If you don't want to put up a full fence, a low hotwire will probably
do, and it's harmless and not unsightly. Tractor supply carries kits.
This also tends to keep rabbits and squirrels out of the garden.

Picture a cat spraying on a hotwire! eg

Hmm an electric fence, sounds sneaky. I like it. :-))

Cheap too.

Low electric fences are grossly underestimated in their effectiveness...
My border collie was destroying my fence as she leaped up on it racing
cars, and I was terrified she was going to accidently go _over_ the
fence and get hit. I live on a busy street! We strung a low, double
hotwire, one at 6" and one at 18".

Problem solved. Instantly.

Animals learn rather quickly to avoid the wire and the associated area,
and the teaching is dissasociated from the human, so I consider them to
be a humane training tool. They just sting.

Ok, prolly not funny and I'm a cat lover too, but I DO get sick of cat
spray from neighbors cats that should NOT be running loose.

This being Texas, with alkaline water and soil from limestone, a little
acidity added to the soil probably won't hurt. Just be careful!

Perhaps I should mention I live 10,000 miles away in New Zealand, so
the soil of Texas is a bit faaaaaar away. ;-) Our soil is more
volcanic in nature. I was more concerned about the plants I sprayed.
We're just entering autumn too. I've just realised the mint may not
grow over winter (darn it).

Mint is a tough plant, but I still cover my catmint patch with sheets
over the winter to protect it. It's a perrenial. How cold does it get
there?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 13-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Waldo Centini

Katra surprised us with

Low electric fences are grossly underestimated in their effectiveness...
My border collie was destroying my fence as she leaped up on it racing
cars, and I was terrified she was going to accidently go _over_ the
fence and get hit. I live on a busy street! We strung a low, double
hotwire, one at 6" and one at 18".

Problem solved. Instantly.

I would put a 220Volt wire down.

Problem solved. Permanently.

--
Waldo

*** Is This A Dead Parrot I See Before Me ***
To respond through email remove removespam

Old 13-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Loki

il Sat, 13 Mar 2004 09:07:41 -0600, Katra ha scritto:

In article ,

Hmm an electric fence, sounds sneaky. I like it. :-))

Cheap too.

That may be a relative concept ;-)

Low electric fences are grossly underestimated in their effectiveness...
My border collie was destroying my fence as she leaped up on it racing
cars, and I was terrified she was going to accidently go _over_ the
fence and get hit. I live on a busy street! We strung a low, double
hotwire, one at 6" and one at 18".

Problem solved. Instantly.

Animals learn rather quickly to avoid the wire and the associated area,
and the teaching is dissasociated from the human, so I consider them to
be a humane training tool. They just sting.

I hate the feel of them myself. shudder

Perhaps I should mention I live 10,000 miles away in New Zealand, so
the soil of Texas is a bit faaaaaar away. ;-) Our soil is more
volcanic in nature. I was more concerned about the plants I sprayed.
We're just entering autumn too. I've just realised the mint may not
grow over winter (darn it).

Mint is a tough plant, but I still cover my catmint patch with sheets
over the winter to protect it. It's a perrenial. How cold does it get
there?

We get several degree frosts but maybe it was the cat that killed it
as well. In that case I'll try again and give it more time to grow
beofre subjecting it to the cats rolling.
--
Cheers,

Old 13-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Katra

In article ,
Waldo Centini wrote:

Katra surprised us with

Low electric fences are grossly underestimated in their effectiveness...
My border collie was destroying my fence as she leaped up on it racing
cars, and I was terrified she was going to accidently go _over_ the
fence and get hit. I live on a busy street! We strung a low, double
hotwire, one at 6" and one at 18".

Problem solved. Instantly.

I would put a 220Volt wire down.

Problem solved. Permanently.

Uh, I happen to love my dog...
I did it for her safety.

Asshole.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 14-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Katra

Katra surprised us with

Old 14-03-2004, 12:25 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

Perhaps I should mention I live 10,000 miles away in New Zealand, so
the soil of Texas is a bit faaaaaar away. ;-) Our soil is more
volcanic in nature. I was more concerned about the plants I sprayed.
We're just entering autumn too. I've just realised the mint may not
grow over winter (darn it).

Mint is a tough plant, but I still cover my catmint patch with sheets
over the winter to protect it. It's a perrenial. How cold does it get
there?

We get several degree frosts but maybe it was the cat that killed it
as well. In that case I'll try again and give it more time to grow
beofre subjecting it to the cats rolling.

You could put a chicken wire cage around the main part of the root
system and let the leaves grow thru it. That way the cat could roll to
it's hearts content and protect the main plant. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 14-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Katra

Katra surprised us with

Old 14-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:34:16 -0500, "Ray Drouillard"
wrote:

"Kae Verens" wrote in message
Ray Drouillard wrote:
I have never heard of cats causing a problem in a garden. Generally
speaking, cats aren't fond of vegetables.

but they /are/ fond of freshly dug and raked plots.

Then, give them their own sandbox.

This has been suggested by an animal behaviorist, but then you've got
a cat-box to clean. Although if the objection is to the digging, at
least that can be kept localized. Objectionable smells (to cats)
include citrus and eucalyptus, so sprays with these oils may be a
deterrent. Some have had success with various herbs -- one person
reported pruning a rosemary bush and tossing the trimmings in the
garden and cats stayed away.

Old 14-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Loki

wrote:

"Kae Verens" wrote in message
Ray Drouillard wrote:
I have never heard of cats causing a problem in a garden. Generally
speaking, cats aren't fond of vegetables.

but they /are/ fond of freshly dug and raked plots.

Then, give them their own sandbox.

This has been suggested by an animal behaviorist, but then you've got
a cat-box to clean. Although if the objection is to the digging, at
least that can be kept localized. Objectionable smells (to cats)
include citrus and eucalyptus, so sprays with these oils may be a
deterrent. Some have had success with various herbs -- one person
reported pruning a rosemary bush and tossing the trimmings in the
garden and cats stayed away.

I did find some success with African thornbush prunings. But hell
when trying to weed. :-)
--
Cheers,

Ongoing care for tomato plants [email protected] North Carolina 15 01-06-2007 05:50 PM
stray cats--a problem xim xim Lawns 14 23-04-2006 06:57 PM
stray cats--a problem--OCTOTHORPE xim xim Lawns 3 18-04-2006 11:23 AM
Life Cycle of Cats Claw (Uncaria Tomentosa) Problem. (Please help) Misha Tundell Plant Science 0 18-07-2003 05:42 AM
spring storms, silken poppies and ongoing madness madgardener Gardening 4 09-05-2003 07:44 PM