Old 14-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Loki

Default Cats - ongoing problem

il Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:55:00 GMT, Frogleg ha scritto:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:34:16 -0500, "Ray Drouillard"
wrote:

"Kae Verens" wrote in message
Ray Drouillard wrote:
I have never heard of cats causing a problem in a garden. Generally
speaking, cats aren't fond of vegetables.

but they /are/ fond of freshly dug and raked plots.

Then, give them their own sandbox.

This has been suggested by an animal behaviorist, but then you've got
a cat-box to clean. Although if the objection is to the digging, at
least that can be kept localized. Objectionable smells (to cats)
include citrus and eucalyptus, so sprays with these oils may be a
deterrent. Some have had success with various herbs -- one person
reported pruning a rosemary bush and tossing the trimmings in the
garden and cats stayed away.

I did find some success with African thornbush prunings. But hell
when trying to weed. :-)
--
Cheers,

Old 15-03-2004, 08:08 AM
Mark Thompson

Thanks so much for all the great advice. I'll be tring several of them
---I'll also be looking into the "Boxwood Connection".

Thanks again. You guys are the greatest!!

All the best,
Mark

"Ray Drouillard" wrote in news:c2pots$20ai2m$1
@ID-193109.news.uni-berlin.de:

"Mark Thompson" wrote in message
.. .
I followed several articles in this group the last couple of years

dealing
with cats and how to keep them out of vegetable gardens.

We finally were able to get rid of our 'feline friends' from our

vegetable
garden (more from luck than anything else?)but they're still leaving

their
spray in the rest of the garden. We've tried everything to get them

out of
our garden - no luck.

Instead of continuing on this useless quest we're now looking into

ways of
negating the smell of cat urine. Does anyone know of any ways to
neautralize this smell?

Any information will be greatly appreciated and used!! The wife

planted
lavender, we've used citrus sprays.....any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Gratefully yours,
Mark Thompson

I have never heard of cats causing a problem in a garden. Generally
speaking, cats aren't fond of vegetables.

You might want to try planting something cats dislike, like citronella,
among your other plants. Or, maybe they want their own garden. Plant
some catnip somewhere else :-)

Ray

Old 15-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Katra

In article ,
Mark Thompson wrote:

Thanks so much for all the great advice. I'll be tring several of them
---I'll also be looking into the "Boxwood Connection".

Thanks again. You guys are the greatest!!

All the best,
Mark

Cheers! :-)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 17-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Waldo Centini

Katra surprised us with

In article ,
Waldo Centini wrote:

Katra surprised us with

Low electric fences are grossly underestimated in their effectiveness...
My border collie was destroying my fence as she leaped up on it racing
cars, and I was terrified she was going to accidently go _over_ the
fence and get hit. I live on a busy street! We strung a low, double
hotwire, one at 6" and one at 18".

Problem solved. Instantly.

I would put a 220Volt wire down.

Problem solved. Permanently.

Uh, I happen to love my dog...
I did it for her safety.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought it was meant to keep those bloody cats
OUT, instead of your dog IN.

As for cats: fry 'em!

Asshole.

****ant!

--
Waldo

*** Is This A Dead Parrot I See Before Me ***
To respond through email remove removespam

Old 18-03-2004, 02:56 PM
EvelynMcH

One harmless method to help with the cat problem is to put citrus peels in the
garden. Cats hate the smell, and the peels are harmless, and can just be turned
under as mulch. Hubby loves grapefruit, so we just save the rinds and cut them
into strips to toss into the mulch between plants in the summer. (We mulch with
the blossoms and flower pods from a magnolia in front of the house, mixed with
commercial shredded pine mulch)

I do this, and have a catnip patch at one end of my raised bed - both stopped
the loose soil from being a giant litter box. We also have ornamental onions
and raspberries at the opposite end, and the raspberry thorns have certainly
slowed the cat traffic that was tolerant of the onions. Cats will not dig
anywhere near the onions, but, because they flower in late spring and die back
until fall, I can still plant my tomatoes and peppers for a summer crop!
-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein
Old 18-03-2004, 02:56 PM
EvelynMcH

[...]

Ongoing care for tomato plants [email protected] North Carolina 15 01-06-2007 04:50 PM
stray cats--a problem xim xim Lawns 14 23-04-2006 05:57 PM
stray cats--a problem--OCTOTHORPE xim xim Lawns 3 18-04-2006 10:23 AM
Life Cycle of Cats Claw (Uncaria Tomentosa) Problem. (Please help) Misha Tundell Plant Science 0 18-07-2003 04:42 AM
spring storms, silken poppies and ongoing madness madgardener Gardening 4 09-05-2003 06:44 PM