GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cats - ongoing problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/55116-cats-ongoing-problem.html)

Loki 18-03-2004 11:42 PM

Cats - ongoing problem

il 18 Mar 2004 14:43:15 GMT, (EvelynMcH) ha
scritto:

One harmless method to help with the cat problem is to put citrus peels in the
garden. Cats hate the smell, and the peels are harmless, and can just be turned
under as mulch. Hubby loves grapefruit, so we just save the rinds and cut them
into strips to toss into the mulch between plants in the summer. (We mulch with
the blossoms and flower pods from a magnolia in front of the house, mixed with
commercial shredded pine mulch)

I do this, and have a catnip patch at one end of my raised bed - both stopped
the loose soil from being a giant litter box. We also have ornamental onions
and raspberries at the opposite end, and the raspberry thorns have certainly
slowed the cat traffic that was tolerant of the onions. Cats will not dig
anywhere near the onions, but, because they flower in late spring and die back
until fall, I can still plant my tomatoes and peppers for a summer crop!
-=epm=-

The citrus peel sounds do-able, At present I have started one carton
with a mothball in it and since I was weeding, I laid the leaves of a
nice prickly thistle along the garden edge. I will have to think of
something for the back fence that they use as a thruway.
--
Cheers,

John Savage 02-04-2004 03:36 AM

Cats - ongoing problem

I've never tried this, but have made the suggestion many times: fill your
Supa-Soaker with water containing Ipecac Syrup, and give the cat a good
squirt so you get plenty on its coat. If your timing is just right, the
cat will return to its owners lounge-room carpet before starting to lick
the liquid off its coat ....

Another possibility, splash or squirt it with castor oil.

Ray Drouillard 02-04-2004 05:16 AM

Cats - ongoing problem

The idea is to solve the problem, not be a real jerk to the neighbor who
owns the cat.

Ray

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
I've never tried this, but have made the suggestion many times: fill

your
Supa-Soaker with water containing Ipecac Syrup, and give the cat a

good
squirt so you get plenty on its coat. If your timing is just right,

the
cat will return to its owners lounge-room carpet before starting to

lick
the liquid off its coat ....

Another possibility, splash or squirt it with castor oil.
--
John Savage (news address invalid; keep news replies in

newsgroup)

Katra 02-04-2004 08:02 AM

Cats - ongoing problem

His idea is also horribly cruel to the cat, which is just being a cat.

Just use a damned hotwire! It works every time and will keep out other
furry garden pests as well, such as squirrels and rabbits... and
thieving neighbors.

K.

In article ,
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

[...]

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

anita kean 02-04-2004 08:42 AM

Cats - ongoing problem

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 00:43:32 -0600, Katra wrote:

Just use a damned hotwire! It works every time and will keep out other
furry garden pests as well, such as squirrels and rabbits... and
thieving neighbors.

K.

I've just been thinking of this for my neighbour's cat - if by hotwire
you mean an electric fence?

In which case, is there technology to generate one with solar panels?
i.e. some kit I could buy or make that produces the electricity in the
garden, and doesn't require leads into the house?

Anita

Katra 02-04-2004 09:42 AM

Cats - ongoing problem

In article ,
anita kean wrote:

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 00:43:32 -0600, Katra

Just use a damned hotwire! It works every time and will keep out other
furry garden pests as well, such as squirrels and rabbits... and
thieving neighbors.

K.

I've just been thinking of this for my neighbour's cat - if by hotwire
you mean an electric fence?

Yes.

In which case, is there technology to generate one with solar panels?
i.e. some kit I could buy or make that produces the electricity in the
garden, and doesn't require leads into the house?

Anita

And yes! There are solar kits to run electric fences.
They are used a lot by sheep farmers to keep coyotes away from the flock.

K.

Anonymous 07-04-2004 11:36 PM

Cats - ongoing problem

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:39:48 -0500, Ray Drouillard wrote:

The idea is to solve the problem, not be a real jerk to the neighbor who
owns the cat.

Ray

Once you convince the real jerk who owns the cat to keep it out of your
garden the problem IS solved.

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

Ray Drouillard 07-04-2004 11:37 PM

Cats - ongoing problem

"Anonymous" wrote in message
news:pan.2004.04.07.22.24.38.421274@notarealserver .com...
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:39:48 -0500, Ray Drouillard wrote:

The idea is to solve the problem, not be a real jerk to the neighbor

who
owns the cat.

Ray

Once you convince the real jerk who owns the cat to keep it out of

your
garden the problem IS solved.

Have you ever tried to keep a cat out of someone else's yard -- besides
locking it indoors?

Besides that, the cat is just doing what cats do. Why torture it?

Thirdly, torturing someone's cat can get you in legal trouble.

Ray

Not the Karl Orff 08-04-2004 12:32 AM

Cats - ongoing problem

In article ,
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

"Anonymous" wrote in message
news:pan.2004.04.07.22.24.38.421274@notarealserver .com...
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:39:48 -0500, Ray Drouillard wrote:

The idea is to solve the problem, not be a real jerk to the neighbor

who
owns the cat.

Ray

Once you convince the real jerk who owns the cat to keep it out of

your
garden the problem IS solved.

Have you ever tried to keep a cat out of someone else's yard -- besides
locking it indoors?

Besides that, the cat is just doing what cats do. Why torture it?

Thirdly, torturing someone's cat can get you in legal trouble.

depends on where you live. Perfectly fair to trap (using deadly ones
too) cats where I live

Ray Drouillard 09-04-2004 01:32 AM

Cats - ongoing problem

"anita kean" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 00:43:32 -0600, Katra

Just use a damned hotwire! It works every time and will keep out

other
furry garden pests as well, such as squirrels and rabbits... and
thieving neighbors.

K.

I've just been thinking of this for my neighbour's cat - if by hotwire
you mean an electric fence?

In which case, is there technology to generate one with solar panels?
i.e. some kit I could buy or make that produces the electricity in the
garden, and doesn't require leads into the house?

It's called a battery ;-)

Seriously, though, many old-style fence chargers used large dry cells.
I believe I saw some at the Tractor Supply Company that have
rechargeable batteries and solar cells. Without the battery backup, the
fence won't work at night. The animals would soon figure that out.

Ray

Lobo 10-04-2004 07:02 PM

Cats - ongoing problem

Put some rocks in your garden and spray them with ammonia. Cats don't like
that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Loki 10-04-2004 11:02 PM

Cats - ongoing problem

il Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:47:32 GMT, "Lobo" ha scritto:

Put some rocks in your garden and spray them with ammonia. Cats don't like
that.

Funny, cat pee is related to ammonia. My info says to avoid cleaning
with ammonia as it is too similar. I imagine ammonia runoff won't
help the garden none either.
--
Cheers,

Glenna Rose 11-04-2004 06:33 AM

Cats - ongoing problem

lid writes:
il Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:47:32 GMT, "Lobo" ha scritto:

Put some rocks in your garden and spray them with ammonia. Cats don't

like
that.

Funny, cat pee is related to ammonia. My info says to avoid cleaning
with ammonia as it is too similar. I imagine ammonia runoff won't
help the garden none either.

FYI, ammonia will cause spraying with some cats. So if you want certain
toms in the neighborhood to be marking your garden, spray ammonia all
around; that and the cat urine will smell just wonderful, not to mention
your garden produce will not be the cleanest. It's likely a very good
idea to be fully aware of the potential results of what you do before you
do it.

A sure cure is the automatic sprinkler. It costs under $50, attaches to
your garden hose and is powered by a 9-volt battery. I know several
people who use them for cats, and they swear by them as being very
effective. Besides, anything you sprayed on your garden to keep them out
would have to be sprayed every day to be effective; are you ready to do
that? So much simpler to buy the sprinkler; just remember to turn off the
water before you walk out there. I understand they also keep away
raccoons and some people use them for deer as well. Sometimes the
simplest things are the best.

Glenna

Katra 11-04-2004 07:02 AM

Cats - ongoing problem

In article fc.003d094101c1d1953b9aca00eee342bb.1c1d1b0@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

lid writes:
[...]

I'll say it again....

Hotwire.

Cheap and effective, and keeps other garden pests out such as squirrels
and rabbits, and larger birds.

I've used one to keep the dogs out of the garden.

It has not raised my utility bills significantly.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...