Old 11-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Lobo

Default Cats - ongoing problem

well, it worked in my yard ... the cat that had been coming over the back
fence stayed away. It only had to be resprayed if it rained. The
sprinklers didn't hit it, so I wasn't doing it every day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Katra" wrote in message
In article fc.003d094101c1d1953b9aca00eee342bb.1c1d1b0@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

lid writes:
il Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:47:32 GMT, "Lobo" ha scritto:

Put some rocks in your garden and spray them with ammonia. Cats

don't
like
that.

Funny, cat pee is related to ammonia. My info says to avoid cleaning
with ammonia as it is too similar. I imagine ammonia runoff won't
help the garden none either.

FYI, ammonia will cause spraying with some cats. So if you want certain
toms in the neighborhood to be marking your garden, spray ammonia all
around; that and the cat urine will smell just wonderful, not to mention
your garden produce will not be the cleanest. It's likely a very good
idea to be fully aware of the potential results of what you do before

you
do it.

A sure cure is the automatic sprinkler. It costs under $50, attaches to
your garden hose and is powered by a 9-volt battery. I know several
people who use them for cats, and they swear by them as being very
effective. Besides, anything you sprayed on your garden to keep them

out
would have to be sprayed every day to be effective; are you ready to do
that? So much simpler to buy the sprinkler; just remember to turn off

the
water before you walk out there. I understand they also keep away
raccoons and some people use them for deer as well. Sometimes the
simplest things are the best.

Glenna

I'll say it again....

Hotwire.

Cheap and effective, and keeps other garden pests out such as squirrels
and rabbits, and larger birds.

I've used one to keep the dogs out of the garden.

It has not raised my utility bills significantly.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 11-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Loki

il Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:47:37 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

I'll say it again....

Hotwire.

Cheap and effective, and keeps other garden pests out such as squirrels
and rabbits, and larger birds.

I've used one to keep the dogs out of the garden.

It has not raised my utility bills significantly.

I was thinking BB soft air pistol :-)
--
Cheers,

Old 11-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

il Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:47:37 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

I'll say it again....

Hotwire.

Cheap and effective, and keeps other garden pests out such as squirrels
and rabbits, and larger birds.

I've used one to keep the dogs out of the garden.

It has not raised my utility bills significantly.

I was thinking BB soft air pistol :-)

Only if you use rubber pellets... :-(

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 11-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Loki

il Sun, 11 Apr 2004 02:48:59 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

il Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:47:37 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

I'll say it again....

Hotwire.

Cheap and effective, and keeps other garden pests out such as squirrels
and rabbits, and larger birds.

I've used one to keep the dogs out of the garden.

It has not raised my utility bills significantly.

I was thinking BB soft air pistol :-)

Only if you use rubber pellets... :-(

There's solid plastic and hollow plastic. I have no idea what they're
like. I was thinking of aiming 'near' them for the noise effect. The
mynahs may need lead however...
--
Cheers,

Old 12-04-2004, 03:34 AM
Janice

(Glenna Rose) wrote:

lid writes:
[...]

They're illegal within the city limits here, and probably illegal
covenants in the county subdivisions.

I saw the auto sprinklers on a show on tv, they were using them to
deter people from cutting across their yard too. But yes indeed they
would drive off most cats, and dogs, and some people, but as soon as
the people figured out it was automatic, they'd probably steal it!

Janice

Old 12-04-2004, 03:34 AM
Janice

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 02:48:59 -0500, Katra
wrote:

In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

il Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:47:37 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

I'll say it again....

Hotwire.

Cheap and effective, and keeps other garden pests out such as squirrels
and rabbits, and larger birds.

I've used one to keep the dogs out of the garden.

It has not raised my utility bills significantly.

I was thinking BB soft air pistol :-)

Only if you use rubber pellets... :-(

Firing any sort of gun, even BB or pellet .. are illegal in the city
limits also ..plus it's illegal to kill the birds or squirrels, cats
or dogs even if in the wrong place can't be killed, it's considered
cruel to kill them by means other than euthanasia. You can borrow a
live trap from the humane society, or use your own to catch cats and
dogs to take to the humane society. It is not illegal to let your cat
wander since the very nature of the beast is to wander, however if you
care about your pet cat, you will not allow it outside other than on a
cat safe leash that it has been trained to properly, or in an
enclosure designed for the cat..which I will not allow unless it was
way above ground and had flea proof legs .. that would stop them from
climbing them as there are fleas outside, and only inside when someone
brings them in from their flea infested houses, or if there are pets
allowed in and out of the house.

Most cats don't do well past 3 years of age outdoors in most places.
They start losing more fights past 3 years of age, start getting bit
and getting abscesses, even if they manage to avoid cars, dogs, and
cat hating or torturing humans, they just start having more injuries
that get expensive to treat when they are deep abscesses.

I just started getting kittens and never letting them outside. Then
they die of old age, rather than feline infectious leukemia or the
host of other diseases. Yes, vaccination is good, but not all get
them soon enough or often enough.

The only time I experienced much trouble with cats in the garden is
early in the season, when the ground is soft of course. Once the soil
has firmed up they're not so eager to dig in it. Stretching plastic
bird netting across the ground not quite laying on it, but not up high
enough for them to crawl under it will discourage most as they don't
like it snagging on their claws. Some would be discouraged with it
just being ON the ground, so I'd try that before going to the work of
changing the height until they hate it. Some would hate it when it
was high enough that it did not fully suspend them but not allow them
to walk very well on it. They're suspicious of unfirm footing.

Once the soil is firm but cats are still wandering and trying to dig,
providing them an area that is sandy, and easy to dig, will keep them
out of the rest of the yard.

No matter what you do, there will always be cats out there .. there
are about as many cats as people in the world.

Janice
Old 13-04-2004, 02:33 AM
Ray Drouillard

"Loki" wrote in message
il Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:47:32 GMT, "Lobo" ha scritto:

Put some rocks in your garden and spray them with ammonia. Cats

don't like
that.

Funny, cat pee is related to ammonia. My info says to avoid cleaning
with ammonia as it is too similar. I imagine ammonia runoff won't
help the garden none either.

Actually, ammonia is rich in nitrogen. Anhydrous ammonia is a common
commercial fertilizer.

Ray Drouillard

Old 13-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Loki

il Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:29:41 -0600, Janice ha scritto:

Firing any sort of gun, even BB or pellet .. are illegal in the city
limits also ..plus it's illegal to kill the birds or squirrels, cats
or dogs even if in the wrong place can't be killed, it's considered
cruel to kill them by means other than euthanasia. [snip]

The laws here are different. I'm in the process of finding out what
they are. We have better gun control but looser firing laws. But it
depends on the Council too. It's only in the last few years that BB
guns were even sold here. And if under 18 you need a licence for an
air gun of any type.
--
Cheers,

Old 18-04-2004, 06:04 AM
Anonymous

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 18:07:49 -0400, Ray Drouillard wrote:

Once you convince the real jerk who owns the cat to keep it out of

your
garden the problem IS solved.

Have you ever tried to keep a cat out of someone else's yard -- besides
locking it indoors?

Whether I've personally tried it or not is moot. I am aware of this
tendency in cats. That's one of the (many) reasons I don't own one.

Your inability to control an animal you brought into your home is not my
problem. It's yours.

It's your cat. It's your problem. Period.

I have the right to "peaceful enjoyment" of my garden which I intend to
enforce. Be governed accordingly.

When YOUR problem wanders over into my yard it becomes MY problem. That's
when I impose MY solution and solve the problem for both of us. My
solution is to live trap and cart the animal to the local animal shelter.
If you live in my neighborhood and can't find your cat, I'd suggest you
look at the animal shelter sometime in the next seventy-two hours.
Forty-eight if they are crowded.

I'm sorry, but just because you can not control your cat does not mean
that I have to stand idly by and allow it to destroy my food.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

Ongoing care for tomato plants [email protected] North Carolina 15 01-06-2007 04:50 PM
stray cats--a problem xim xim Lawns 14 23-04-2006 05:57 PM
stray cats--a problem--OCTOTHORPE xim xim Lawns 3 18-04-2006 10:23 AM
Life Cycle of Cats Claw (Uncaria Tomentosa) Problem. (Please help) Misha Tundell Plant Science 0 18-07-2003 04:42 AM
spring storms, silken poppies and ongoing madness madgardener Gardening 4 09-05-2003 06:44 PM