Old 17-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Henriette Kress

Default Cilantro

Frogleg wrote:

Heh. Both Pelargonium and Geranium are in the Geraniaceae.
Please show me an umbellifer that doesn't have paired seeds; there might
be lots, but I haven't seen one yet.

Carrot, parsley, dill, Pelargonium, celery and others.

Pelargonium is in the Geraniaceae.

The Geraniaceae family is in the order Geraniales, class Magnoliopsida.
The Apiaceae (Umbelliferae) family is in the order Apiales, class
Magnoliopsida.

Apiaceae and Geraniaceae aren't all that closely related, botanically.
They're certainly far enough apart that a botanist who'd suggest that
Pelargonium belongs in the Apiaceae would be laughed out of the room.

Carrot has two seeds, stuck together; they separate when they mature.
Ditto for parsley, dill, celery and pretty much any Apiaceae I've seen
so far. Sure, they come in single seeds in your seed packet, and in
single seeds in your spice jar, but they grow in pairs, and mature in
pairs. Here's a nice illustration of your average umbellifer seed:
http://home.teleport.com/~howieb/see.gif
It's at the top of Howie's page:
http://www.teleport.com/~howieb/howie.html

Like I said, please show me an umbellifer that doesn't have paired
seeds; there might be lots, but I haven't seen one yet.

Thanks
Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Old 21-03-2004, 03:50 AM
Aria

Thanks for the site....now I don't feel so bad since it states that Cilantro
is difficult to grow. Just had another one croak. I think it would be more
expedient to just buy it in the store!!!!

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:50:51 -0700, "Aria"
wrote:

Does anyone here try to grow it??? I've tried so many times both inside

and
out. It always drops dead...Any suggestions?

(I'm having a funny mental image of a healthy cilantro plant suddenly
collapsing like a cartoon weed after RoundUp.)

Here's a site that discusses 'how to grow' clearly.

http://chefsgarden.com/Cilantro.htm

Old 26-03-2004, 03:30 AM
Gary Flynn

DigitalVinyl wrote:
"Aria" wrote:

Does anyone here try to grow it??? I've tried so many times both inside and
out. It always drops dead...Any suggestions?

I was just about to post a question about this... I'll just piggy back
mine on this discussion. I really can't stand cilantro, but I like
ground coriander. I was wondering if anyone grows Coriander/cilantro
for the seeds and if so, does the plant produce a lot of seed, or do
you need to grow many plants. I'm assuming it wil seed on the first
year.

You have to stagger it. It doesn't like heat. I just
buy it in the stores because its so plentiful and concentrate
on growing the things that taste better or that are hard to find.

Old 26-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Gary Flynn

DigitalVinyl wrote:
"Aria" wrote:

Does anyone here try to grow it??? I've tried so many times both inside and
out. It always drops dead...Any suggestions?

I was just about to post a question about this... I'll just piggy back
mine on this discussion. I really can't stand cilantro, but I like
ground coriander. I was wondering if anyone grows Coriander/cilantro
for the seeds and if so, does the plant produce a lot of seed, or do
you need to grow many plants. I'm assuming it wil seed on the first
year.

You have to stagger it. It doesn't like heat. I just
buy it in the stores because its so plentiful and concentrate
on growing the things that taste better or that are hard to find.

basil and cilantro Rona Yuthasastrakosol Edible Gardening 25 24-07-2003 07:02 AM
cilantro..... Sabaa Mundia Gardening 3 04-05-2003 02:20 PM
any secret tips on cilantro/basil in Colorado Stephen Younge Edible Gardening 2 29-04-2003 02:32 PM
Cilantro surrogates Stevil Edible Gardening 2 16-02-2003 10:39 AM
Cilantro Snowfeet1 Gardening 4 10-02-2003 10:25 PM