Old 12-03-2004, 02:02 AM
Aria

Default Cilantro

Does anyone here try to grow it??? I've tried so many times both inside and
out. It always drops dead...Any suggestions?

Old 12-03-2004, 05:05 AM
Janice

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:50:51 -0700, "Aria"
wrote:

Does anyone here try to grow it??? I've tried so many times both inside and
out. It always drops dead...Any suggestions?

Cilantro=Corriander. All I know is the greenhouse had some in bloom,
I sniffed the flower and it was like an ice pick went up my nose into
my brain, the pain was immediate and intense. I'll not grow it in my
yard! LOL

Janice

Old 12-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Meagan M Eller

Janice wrote:
Cilantro=Corriander. All I know is the greenhouse had some in bloom,
I sniffed the flower and it was like an ice pick went up my nose into
my brain, the pain was immediate and intense. I'll not grow it in my
yard! LOL

Janice

I have actually grown it. I always like to experiment with new herbs. I am
not a big fan of it as a cooking herb, but it was fine in the garden. I
actually only grew it one season, then decided it was taking up limited
space when there were other herbs I would rather grow that were actually
useful for me.

I really don't have advice, as I don't know why mine grew. It was planted
in full sun, I watered it. I guess the soil was good, as all the herbs in
that area did well. I take a low maintenance approach to most of my
gardening - I try not to mess with plants that look like they are doing
fine. I may not have prize-winners, but I don't get frustrated.

Meagan

Old 15-03-2004, 02:18 AM
DigitalVinyl

"Aria" wrote:

Does anyone here try to grow it??? I've tried so many times both inside and
out. It always drops dead...Any suggestions?

I was just about to post a question about this... I'll just piggy back
mine on this discussion. I really can't stand cilantro, but I like
ground coriander. I was wondering if anyone grows Coriander/cilantro
for the seeds and if so, does the plant produce a lot of seed, or do
you need to grow many plants. I'm assuming it wil seed on the first
year.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener

Old 15-03-2004, 03:23 AM
Ray Drouillard

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
"Aria" wrote:

Does anyone here try to grow it??? I've tried so many times both

inside and
out. It always drops dead...Any suggestions?

I was just about to post a question about this... I'll just piggy back
mine on this discussion. I really can't stand cilantro, but I like
ground coriander. I was wondering if anyone grows Coriander/cilantro
for the seeds and if so, does the plant produce a lot of seed, or do
you need to grow many plants. I'm assuming it wil seed on the first
year.

What's your definition of 'a lot of seed', and 'many plants'?

My usual problem is to keep it from going to seed. Once it starts to
bolt, there isn't much you can do about it. Also, once it starts to
bolt, the flavor gets stronger and the stems get tougher.

The plant has flat white flower clusters, and one flower gets you one
seed. Unless you are really pressed for space, the simplest thing to do
is to plant one package of seeds and watch what it does. That should
get you more seeds than you are likely to use in a year.

Ray Drouillard

Old 15-03-2004, 04:12 AM
DigitalVinyl

"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
.. .
"Aria" wrote:

Does anyone here try to grow it??? I've tried so many times both

inside and
out. It always drops dead...Any suggestions?

I was just about to post a question about this... I'll just piggy back
mine on this discussion. I really can't stand cilantro, but I like
ground coriander. I was wondering if anyone grows Coriander/cilantro
for the seeds and if so, does the plant produce a lot of seed, or do
you need to grow many plants. I'm assuming it wil seed on the first
year.

What's your definition of 'a lot of seed', and 'many plants'?

What? my terms aren't vague enough for you? :-)

My usual problem is to keep it from going to seed. Once it starts to
bolt, there isn't much you can do about it. Also, once it starts to
bolt, the flavor gets stronger and the stems get tougher.

Since I don't care for the leaves AT ALL, I would want it to bolt
quicker. Let it bake in the sun if that's gonna get the seeds coming.
My problem is I have no clue what we're talking about. Never grown
before, so one seed could be the size of a pumpkin seed or microscopic
petunia seeds. It could have a habit like dill with dozens of seeds
per floret and a dozen florets per plant. I will squeeze in what I
can--yes I am limited by land and what I'm willing to maintain. Have
to check on the growth habit--don't know what spacing they prefer.

The plant has flat white flower clusters, and one flower gets you one
seed. Unless you are really pressed for space, the simplest thing to do
is to plant one package of seeds and watch what it does. That should
get you more seeds than you are likely to use in a year.

Well we used 1.25 oz wt(4 inch tall McCormick jar) in the last 5-6
months. Discovered how good it works in a rub on beef cuts.

Thanks.
Ray Drouillard

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
Old 15-03-2004, 09:32 AM
Henriette Kress

DigitalVinyl wrote:

Since I don't care for the leaves AT ALL, I would want it to bolt
quicker. Let it bake in the sun if that's gonna get the seeds coming.

You'll get seeds faster if it bolts faster, but not more of them.
You'll get more seeds if you let it grow more leaf.

Never grown
before, so one seed could be the size of a pumpkin seed or microscopic
petunia seeds.

You do realize that you could use seeds out of your spice jar for your
coriander needs? Those round balls are two seeds in one, the ones that
have split are one seed.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG * * * * * * * * * * *Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Old 15-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Loki

il Mon, 15 Mar 2004 02:11:12 GMT, DigitalVinyl ha scritto:

"Aria" wrote:

Does anyone here try to grow it??? I've tried so many times both inside and
out. It always drops dead...Any suggestions?

I was just about to post a question about this... I'll just piggy back
mine on this discussion. I really can't stand cilantro, but I like
ground coriander. I was wondering if anyone grows Coriander/cilantro
for the seeds and if so, does the plant produce a lot of seed, or do
you need to grow many plants. I'm assuming it wil seed on the first
year.

I grew it once and it seeded pretty quickly. Lots of seeds. Like
dill.
-
Cheers,

Old 15-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Frogleg

On 15 Mar 2004 22:22:39 +1300, "Loki" wrote:

il Mon, 15 Mar 2004 02:11:12 GMT, DigitalVinyl ha scritto:

I really can't stand cilantro, but I like
ground coriander. I was wondering if anyone grows Coriander/cilantro
for the seeds and if so, does the plant produce a lot of seed, or do
you need to grow many plants. I'm assuming it wil seed on the first
year.

I grew it once and it seeded pretty quickly. Lots of seeds. Like
dill.

Yes, Cilantro/coriander is a short-lived annual, and goes to seed
quickly. While the seeding habit is similar to dill -- a sort of
fountain of seed at the end of a stalk, the seeds are larger and
seedheads contain maybe 30 coriander pods. I never actually counted
either. :-) If you have coriander seeds on your spice shelf, these
will work (if they're not too old) to start your plants. As someone
else has posted, there are 2 small seeds inside each round pod. You
can plant the whole pod and pinch off 1 of the 2 seedlings that
emerge, or break open the pods and plant single seeds. The entire
life-cycle in hot weather takes just a few weeks, so you can make
successive or staggered plantings over the summer.
Old 15-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Henriette Kress

Frogleg wrote:

will work (if they're not too old) to start your plants. As someone
else has posted, there are 2 small seeds inside each round pod.

Umm. No, those "pods" _are_ the seeds.
Two to each tiny ball; like all umbelliferae, coriander seeds, too, come
in pairs.

Henriette

Old 15-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

Does anyone here try to grow it??? I've tried so many times both inside and
out. It always drops dead...Any suggestions?

(I'm having a funny mental image of a healthy cilantro plant suddenly
collapsing like a cartoon weed after RoundUp.)

Here's a site that discusses 'how to grow' clearly.

http://chefsgarden.com/Cilantro.htm
Old 15-03-2004, 02:31 PM
DigitalVinyl

Henriette Kress wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:

Since I don't care for the leaves AT ALL, I would want it to bolt
quicker. Let it bake in the sun if that's gonna get the seeds coming.

You'll get seeds faster if it bolts faster, but not more of them.
You'll get more seeds if you let it grow more leaf.

Never grown
before, so one seed could be the size of a pumpkin seed or microscopic
petunia seeds.

You do realize that you could use seeds out of your spice jar for your
coriander needs? Those round balls are two seeds in one, the ones that
have split are one seed.

I've bought ground coriander.

Henriette

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener

basil and cilantro Rona Yuthasastrakosol Edible Gardening 25 24-07-2003 06:02 AM
cilantro..... Sabaa Mundia Gardening 3 04-05-2003 01:20 PM
any secret tips on cilantro/basil in Colorado Stephen Younge Edible Gardening 2 29-04-2003 01:32 PM
Cilantro surrogates Stevil Edible Gardening 2 16-02-2003 09:39 AM
Cilantro Snowfeet1 Gardening 4 10-02-2003 09:25 PM