Old 16-03-2004, 03:55 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default Tomato Spirals?

"FDR" wrote:

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
news
Frogleg wrote:

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:57:16 GMT, "FDR"
wrote:

Looking through the Garden Tools by Lee Valley catalog, I came across a
tomato staking method using spirals. Basically, it's a 6 foot long

piece of
metal that you push into the ground and it is spiraled all the way up.

The
tomato plant grows into the spiral and gives natural support.

Does anyone know what a full-grown tomato plant with fruit weighs?

I think its gonna vary. MY bush last year was about 6' high and two
foot around. I'd say the most tomatoes it had on it at once was about
10-12 lbs plus the weight of the plant itself, which i'd be wild-ass
guessing is ?10,15,20? pounds. WHen I pulled them at end of season I
thought they were heavier than expected. My vine, which actually
ended up growing as two vines on two stakes, was probably less than
that.

I used the stackable tomato cages from Gardener's Supply. They are
unfortunately expensive(like most of their catalog) but it made caging
a 6' bush effortless. My neighbor liked how easy it was to harvest and
they didn't keep sliding and collapsing down a stake when heavy with
fruit. Neither of us do staking well. Plants always slide down and
create tight bends.
I am considering buying another four this year despite overpriced
costs.

What's your take on those tomato "ladders" that Gardener's Supply sells?
I haven't bought one.
They seem expensive, but since they are each 58" tall they can support
five plants. The tomato cages are about 30" each, so you could only
support 2 tall bushes for $30. So they are similar in price.

They look like they would prevnet the sliding and bending we
experienced.

For me, my indeterminate ending up growing three vines(i did a POOR
job pruning). Two of 'em I staked the third grew into the nearby
tomato cage. At this point I'm thinking of just treating all of them
like determinates and letting them bush.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener

Old 16-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Jim Elbrecht

"FDR" wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote in message
.. .

-snip-
Go somewhere like Home Depot and get a roll of 6" mesh concrete
reinforcing wire. Ask about what kind of tool you need to cut the
wire.

Here's a rough illustration and directions:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...37trellis.html

-snip-.

Though they are certainly sturdy, I don't think they'd be for me since my
wife wouldn't appreciate the aesthetics or lack of easy storage capability.

i use a variation of the concrete reinforcing mesh. [mine is 6x6
holes, BTW]. I just cut it into 4' 6" lengths -cutting close to the
vertical piece on one end. Then I loop the cut tails loosely
around the verticals of another and repeat until I have a foldable
fence as long as I can easily handle. [24' works for me-- it happens
to fit the width of my tomato section & it accommodates 6 plants.
Anything over 3 sections will work]

[if I cared about aesthetics, this is when I'd paint them dark green]

I till the garden & rake the tomato area more or less smooth-- then
unfold my tomato fence as a zig-zag with a stake about every 20 feet.

Then I plant the tomatoes in the center of each section-- helping
them go in & out of the mesh for a couple weeks.

In the fall they fold up & hang on the back side of my garage--
outside. The original that was here when I bought the house 16 years
ago has seen better times, but is still usable. [The newer ones
probably won't make 20 years as the wire is much lighter.]

Jim

Old 16-03-2004, 09:30 PM
FDR

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"FDR" wrote:

.. .

http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...H237trellis.ht

[...]

Good idea!

Old 16-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Mapman

Loki wrote:

I read one just a week ago. They put stakes in at each end (10feet)
and planted the tomatoes in between. then as they grew they wove
twine from one stake to the other, and adding twine as the toms grew
taller. I didn't see a picture, but they must use 2 twine each time
to hold the plant. It said they grew much better that when
individually staked.

For the past 6 years I've used what I call a horizontal trellis: 14
gauge fence mesh hung between 2x2 posts, with an additional post along
the long side. I simply staple the fencing to the post inserted in one
of the openings. I use one fencing layer at 21 inches and another at 39
inches. Easy to put up and disassemble. Plants grow up thru the mesh
and fruits are supported well.

Tomato Spirals? FDR Edible Gardening 0 15-03-2004 01:59 AM
tomato? Solanum or Lycopersicon potato was a mutated tomato some Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 7 26-04-2003 01:24 PM
tomato? Solanum or Lycopersicon potato was a mutated tomato some 1 Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:23 PM
Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 11-03-2003 02:09 PM