Old 15-03-2004, 02:13 AM
FDR

Default Tomato Spirals?

Looking through the Garden Tools by Lee Valley catalog, I came across a
tomato staking method using spirals. Basically, it's a 6 foot long piece of
metal that you push into the ground and it is spiraled all the way up. The
tomato plant grows into the spiral and gives natural support. The ad claims
that it is the most popular way to do it in Europe.

Has anybody actually tried these? They are $4.50 a piece and seem like a
bargain. I just don't know how sturdy they are.

I'd like to try staking this year. Just don't know what method to use.

Old 15-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Katra

In article ,
"FDR" wrote:

Looking through the Garden Tools by Lee Valley catalog, I came across a
tomato staking method using spirals. Basically, it's a 6 foot long piece of
metal that you push into the ground and it is spiraled all the way up. The
tomato plant grows into the spiral and gives natural support. The ad claims
that it is the most popular way to do it in Europe.

Has anybody actually tried these? They are $4.50 a piece and seem like a
bargain. I just don't know how sturdy they are.

I'd like to try staking this year. Just don't know what method to use.

I'd sure give it a shot!!!
It sounds wunnerful.

Traditional tomato cages are almost worthless imho.
I've had better luck using 7 ft. x 1" stakes and just carefully tying
the vine to the stake and to itself as it grew.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 15-03-2004, 04:02 AM
FDR

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"FDR" wrote:

Looking through the Garden Tools by Lee Valley catalog, I came across a
tomato staking method using spirals. Basically, it's a 6 foot long

piece of
metal that you push into the ground and it is spiraled all the way up.

The
tomato plant grows into the spiral and gives natural support. The ad

claims
that it is the most popular way to do it in Europe.

Has anybody actually tried these? They are $4.50 a piece and seem like

bargain. I just don't know how sturdy they are.

I'd like to try staking this year. Just don't know what method to use.

I'd sure give it a shot!!!
It sounds wunnerful.

The only downside I can see is that they'd be to short.

Traditional tomato cages are almost worthless imho.
I've had better luck using 7 ft. x 1" stakes and just carefully tying
the vine to the stake and to itself as it grew.

Do you use bamboo?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 15-03-2004, 04:12 AM
Katra

In article ,
"FDR" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"FDR" wrote:

Looking through the Garden Tools by Lee Valley catalog, I came across a
tomato staking method using spirals. Basically, it's a 6 foot long

piece of
metal that you push into the ground and it is spiraled all the way up.

The
tomato plant grows into the spiral and gives natural support. The ad

claims
that it is the most popular way to do it in Europe.

Has anybody actually tried these? They are $4.50 a piece and seem like

bargain. I just don't know how sturdy they are.

I'd like to try staking this year. Just don't know what method to use.

I'd sure give it a shot!!!
It sounds wunnerful.

The only downside I can see is that they'd be to short.

That's why I went for the 7' stakes. G

Traditional tomato cages are almost worthless imho.
I've had better luck using 7 ft. x 1" stakes and just carefully tying
the vine to the stake and to itself as it grew.

Do you use bamboo?

Plastic. They look like green plastic re-bar. I get them from Lowe's for
about $4.50 each, but they last for years!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 15-03-2004, 09:32 AM
Loki

il Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:57:16 GMT, "FDR" ha scritto:

Looking through the Garden Tools by Lee Valley catalog, I came across a
tomato staking method using spirals. Basically, it's a 6 foot long piece of
metal that you push into the ground and it is spiraled all the way up. The
tomato plant grows into the spiral and gives natural support. The ad claims
that it is the most popular way to do it in Europe.

Has anybody actually tried these? They are $4.50 a piece and seem like a
bargain. I just don't know how sturdy they are.

I'd like to try staking this year. Just don't know what method to use.

I read one just a week ago. They put stakes in at each end (10feet)
and planted the tomatoes in between. then as they grew they wove
twine from one stake to the other, and adding twine as the toms grew
taller. I didn't see a picture, but they must use 2 twine each time
to hold the plant. It said they grew much better that when
individually staked.
--
Cheers,

Old 15-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

[...]

Neat idea. :-)

A simple fence trellis might be even simpler?
That's what I use for beans.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 15-03-2004, 11:42 AM
Frogleg

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:57:16 GMT, "FDR"
wrote:

Looking through the Garden Tools by Lee Valley catalog, I came across a
tomato staking method using spirals. Basically, it's a 6 foot long piece of
metal that you push into the ground and it is spiraled all the way up. The
tomato plant grows into the spiral and gives natural support.

Does anyone know what a full-grown tomato plant with fruit weighs? It
seems as if you'd have to sink at least 18" of this slender spike into
the ground, leaving 4-1/2' to support the plant. With a single,
slender anchor point, and a lot of wind resistance with all the
foliage, I can see the stake working loose with every breeze. Also,the
plant isn't going to 'naturally' grow within the spiral -- you'll have
to twine it around the stake every day or 2. I'd definitely give this
one a miss.
Old 15-03-2004, 02:59 PM
DigitalVinyl

wrote:

Looking through the Garden Tools by Lee Valley catalog, I came across a
tomato staking method using spirals. Basically, it's a 6 foot long piece of
metal that you push into the ground and it is spiraled all the way up. The
tomato plant grows into the spiral and gives natural support.

Does anyone know what a full-grown tomato plant with fruit weighs?

I think its gonna vary. MY bush last year was about 6' high and two
foot around. I'd say the most tomatoes it had on it at once was about
10-12 lbs plus the weight of the plant itself, which i'd be wild-ass
guessing is ?10,15,20? pounds. WHen I pulled them at end of season I
thought they were heavier than expected. My vine, which actually
ended up growing as two vines on two stakes, was probably less than
that.

I used the stackable tomato cages from Gardener's Supply. They are
unfortunately expensive(like most of their catalog) but it made caging
a 6' bush effortless. My neighbor liked how easy it was to harvest and
they didn't keep sliding and collapsing down a stake when heavy with
fruit. Neither of us do staking well. Plants always slide down and
create tight bends.
I am considering buying another four this year despite overpriced
costs.

It
seems as if you'd have to sink at least 18" of this slender spike into
the ground, leaving 4-1/2' to support the plant. With a single,
slender anchor point, and a lot of wind resistance with all the
foliage, I can see the stake working loose with every breeze. Also,the
plant isn't going to 'naturally' grow within the spiral -- you'll have
to twine it around the stake every day or 2. I'd definitely give this
one a miss.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener

Tomato Spirals? FDR Edible Gardening 0 15-03-2004 01:59 AM
tomato? Solanum or Lycopersicon potato was a mutated tomato some Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 7 26-04-2003 01:24 PM
tomato? Solanum or Lycopersicon potato was a mutated tomato some 1 Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:23 PM
Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 11-03-2003 02:09 PM