Old 15-03-2004, 06:02 AM
Mark

Default Eat, sleep, poop...

....that's all baby ducks do. That, and they spend inordinate amounts
of time being cute as can be.

I got 4 White Pekin ducklings yesterday. They're in a big box in the
kitchen, and in 24 hours, they basically saturated their bedding with
dribbled water (from their feeder) and duck poop. The upside is that
they're generating lots of "organic material" for my compost bin.

We built an enclosed pen off the side of the garden shed for them once
the weather warms a bit and they're big enough to stay outside.
Eventually, I'm going to enclose the garden and let the little rascals
gorge to their hearts content on June bugs and slugs.

Just thought I'd share.

Mark
Old 15-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Anonny Moose

Congratulations! Ducks are pretty darn sloppy but cuter than all get out.
They eat a fair share of the bugs and spiders and slugs and fertilize the
area, to boot. How can you beat that?? Did you get them sexed or will it be
a surprise?

Karen

om...

Old 15-03-2004, 05:29 PM
The Watcher

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:54:40 -0800, "Anonny Moose"
wrote:

Congratulations! Ducks are pretty darn sloppy but cuter than all get out.
They eat a fair share of the bugs and spiders and slugs and fertilize the
area, to boot. How can you beat that?? Did you get them sexed or will it be
a surprise?

The thing I like about ducks is the fact that they love tomato hornworms, no
matter how big the hornworms get. I already had chickens and guineas when I got
a pair of ducks. The chickens and guineas won't always eat the hornworms, but
the ducks will fight over them. The ducks are pretty good bug chasers too. I got
them a bathtub of water in the yard and they stay around.

Old 15-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Mark

Katra wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Mark) wrote:

...that's all baby ducks do. That, and they spend inordinate amounts
of time being cute as can be.

I got 4 White Pekin ducklings yesterday. They're in a big box in the
kitchen, and in 24 hours, they basically saturated their bedding with
dribbled water (from their feeder) and duck poop. The upside is that
they're generating lots of "organic material" for my compost bin.

We built an enclosed pen off the side of the garden shed for them once
the weather warms a bit and they're big enough to stay outside.
Eventually, I'm going to enclose the garden and let the little rascals
gorge to their hearts content on June bugs and slugs.

Just thought I'd share.

Mark

For the time being, put them in a cage with a raised wire bottom to keep
the little messies dry, and next time get muscovies. lol

Pine shavings will help in the meantime!
And it'll cut back on the mess somewhat by not allowing them water at
night, and it won't hurt them.

Do NOT use hay or straw for bedding! Aspergilliosis is common in baby
ducks kept on that type of bedding and it kills them.

Good luck!

K. (an experienced duckling momma)

I used straw for the first night, then I bought one of those big
compressed blocks of pine chips they sell in the pet store. Sorry to
hear about aspergillosis -- I'll have to keep an eye on them...I hope
one night isn't enough exposure.

Tell me about the muscovies. Are they inherently less messy?

Thanks.

Mark