GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Any other bamboo fans here? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/55913-any-other-bamboo-fans-here.html)

The Watcher 18-03-2004 12:29 AM

Any other bamboo fans here?

I have planted 5 varieties of bamboo on my property with numbers 6 and 7 started
this year. The shoots of some varieities are edible and the plant itself is very
practical. Also, a grove of bamboo makes a good privacy screen and a nice sound
when the wind blows through.
I was wondering if there are any other fans of bamboo here.

Ray Drouillard 18-03-2004 12:30 AM

Any other bamboo fans here?

"The Watcher" wrote in message
I have planted 5 varieties of bamboo on my property with numbers 6 and

7 started
this year. The shoots of some varieities are edible and the plant

itself is very
practical. Also, a grove of bamboo makes a good privacy screen and a

nice sound
when the wind blows through.
I was wondering if there are any other fans of bamboo here.

What kinds of bamboo can I grow in central Michigan (zone 4-5)?

Ray

Janice 18-03-2004 04:15 AM

Any other bamboo fans here?

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:12:00 GMT, (The Watcher)
wrote:

I have planted 5 varieties of bamboo on my property with numbers 6 and 7 started
this year. The shoots of some varieities are edible and the plant itself is very
practical. Also, a grove of bamboo makes a good privacy screen and a nice sound
when the wind blows through.
I was wondering if there are any other fans of bamboo here.

I have always wanted some, but it's cold in winter and dry in summer,
and so most would be marginally hardy at best .. at least of the kinds
I want. I also couldn't have the runner sort since I'd have to hire
someone to ride herd on it.

try rec.gardens.bamboo

Janice

Jay Chan 18-03-2004 05:47 PM

Any other bamboo fans here?

More importantly, what varieties are CLUMPING and winter hardy (zone 5)?

I also have a hard time finding any clump-type bamboo that can surrive
in colder climate (northern half of zone-6). The clump-type bamboo
that I tried two years ago was supposed to have "some" chance of
surriving in zone-6. But they all died after one winter.

The only bamboo that can surrive in my backyard are a type of "runner"
bamboo that spread very fast in spring. I didn't plant them. They are
from my neighbors (I don't know which neighbor because they come from
the backyard of two of the nearby neighbors). I don't mind them even
though they are runner. they look good and they provide a privacy
screen to my backyard. If they spread to my lawn, I can easily mow
them down.

Jay Chan