GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   styrofoam (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/57413-styrofoam.html)

belly 31-03-2004 07:27 PM

styrofoam

I'm just curious... I have a couple large styrofoam containers, a bit
larger than the throw-away ice chests you can get for cheap. Any idea
how these would hold up for a one-season planter, if I drill some
holes for drainage? Is there anything that would leach into the soil
and cause problems?

jlhendo 01-04-2004 09:07 AM

styrofoam

No problems at all. I've been raising seed in them for years. Polystyrene is
quite inert.

k.net...

Frogleg 01-04-2004 04:00 PM

styrofoam

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:24:33 GMT, belly wrote:

I'm just curious... I have a couple large styrofoam containers, a bit
larger than the throw-away ice chests you can get for cheap. Any idea
how these would hold up for a one-season planter, if I drill some
holes for drainage? Is there anything that would leach into the soil
and cause problems?

No problems. Just be sure you position these *before* you fill with
dirt. They're not very sturdy.

belly 02-04-2004 12:18 AM

styrofoam

thanks guys