Old 02-04-2004, 12:18 AM
Joseph A. Zupko

Default How far apart I should grow corn seeds

What is the spacing for growing corn?
I read any where from 1 to 3 feet but I think that's too far. Would 6 to 8
inches be ok?
This way they can be pollinated.
Thank you

Old 02-04-2004, 12:18 AM
Loki

il Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:48:12 GMT, "Joseph A. Zupko" ha scritto:

What is the spacing for growing corn?
I read any where from 1 to 3 feet but I think that's too far. Would 6 to 8
inches be ok?
This way they can be pollinated.
Thank you

They are heavy feeders, so need space for feeding, and if you want to
weed you need space for the hoe without fear of slicing them off at
the ankles, and if you want to pick them, as I found out, too close
and your'e trying not to break the ones you brush past. Since corn
can pollinate half a kilometer away I don't think you need to worry
about spacing. Just have them in rows along the prevailing wind. :-)

Too close and they will be smaller. Oh and they also like water so
too close and they'll be competing for the water.
--
Cheers,

Old 02-04-2004, 03:37 AM
Craig Watts

What is the spacing for growing corn?
I read any where from 1 to 3 feet but I think that's too far. Would 6 to 8
inches be ok?
This way they can be pollinated.
Thank you

FWIW - I read Bob Bartholemuew's (sp?) square foot garden book. He/I
planted a hill of three plants. This helps them during the T-storms
and hail of June. I have had too much knocked down corn in the past.

As far as pollination, when the silks form I go out early in the
morning with a brown paper bag. I collect the pollen from all the
tasles, mix and then go back and hand pollinate the silks. I don't
touch the polline and here in NC ants are my worst enimy.

BTW- Bob Bartholemuew can be found through older PBS shows.

Good Luck.

Craig
Old 10-04-2004, 04:02 AM
Craig Watts

You'll do better if you search for 'Mel Bartholomew'
however. His own website is at
http://www.squarefootgardening.com .

If you read his book 'Square Foot Gardening' be sure to
check the website for some updated, changed advice - one
item of which makes a substantial difference and makes
initial preparation of growing beds very much easier than
his earlier recommendations.

Pat

Thank you Pat. I'll check that site.

Thanks again,