GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pennsylvania Peanuts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/57872-pennsylvania-peanuts.html)

Craig E 06-04-2004 09:13 PM

Pennsylvania Peanuts

I've purchased a small pack of peanut seeds and am going to attempt to
grow them here in northern Pennsylvania (zone 5b). Has anyone here
had much success with peanuts in my zone? (I have raised beds that
have had numerous years of amendments of compost, WELL-aged cow
manure, leaves, etc... so the soil is quite loose and rich).

Craig

Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or

convictions. Dag Hammarskjold

Ross Reid 06-04-2004 09:13 PM

Pennsylvania Peanuts

(Craig E) wrote:

I've purchased a small pack of peanut seeds and am going to attempt to
grow them here in northern Pennsylvania (zone 5b). Has anyone here
had much success with peanuts in my zone? (I have raised beds that
have had numerous years of amendments of compost, WELL-aged cow
manure, leaves, etc... so the soil is quite loose and rich).

Craig

Craig,

I'm a bit North of you, in Southern Ontario but, roughly in the same
growing zone. We've grown peanuts several times in past years, simply
as a novelty and they did quite well. There is a commercial peanut
grower less than an hour's drive from my home and they appear to be
thriving.
http://www.picardpeanuts.com/
However, IMO, as a useful crop for the home gardener they're hardly
worth the effort. Much simpler and a lot less work to buy them, either
raw or roasted at the local bulk food store ;-).
Still, the description of your raised beds sounds like the peanuts
would love to be there so, go for it!
Ross,
Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b