GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potatoes in garbage bags (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/57890-potatoes-garbage-bags.html)

Marita J. Buffone 06-04-2004 09:14 PM

Potatoes in garbage bags

I want to grow potatoes in black garbage bags on my deck. Any
information about this would be helpful.

Also, has anyone used store bought potatoes successfully rather than
purchasing seed potatoes? I want to use a couple baking potatoes and
a couple red potatoes that have sprouted.

Marita (I think Zone 5 - western Orange Cty, NY)

belly 06-04-2004 09:15 PM

Potatoes in garbage bags

On 5 Apr 2004 05:05:21 -0700 in
,
(Marita J. Buffone) graced the world with
this thought:

I want to grow potatoes in black garbage bags on my deck. Any
information about this would be helpful.

I've grown them this way in straw (as opposed to dirt) with pretty
good luck.

Also, has anyone used store bought potatoes successfully rather than
purchasing seed potatoes? I want to use a couple baking potatoes and
a couple red potatoes that have sprouted.

My grandfather used to do this, and never had any problems. I'm not
sure, but I think one drawback is that the seedlings are more
susceptable to disease.

Katra 06-04-2004 09:15 PM

Potatoes in garbage bags

In article ,
(Marita J. Buffone) wrote:

I want to grow potatoes in black garbage bags on my deck. Any
information about this would be helpful.

Also, has anyone used store bought potatoes successfully rather than
purchasing seed potatoes? I want to use a couple baking potatoes and
a couple red potatoes that have sprouted.

Marita (I think Zone 5 - western Orange Cty, NY)

Stacked tires are supposed to work well. :-)

I'd worry about mold growth with plastic bags???

Dunno.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

Marita J. Buffone 06-04-2004 09:15 PM

Potatoes in garbage bags

Katra wrote in message ...

Stacked tires are supposed to work well. :-)

I'd worry about mold growth with plastic bags???

Dunno.

K.

I heard that about the tires. Our town has a cleanup day coming up.
I bet I could get some from there.

Going forward, I wonder if the stacked tires could be used for
tomatoes, too. I don't see why not. DH will LOVE seeing tires all
over the yard, though :).

Marita

McQualude 06-04-2004 09:15 PM

Potatoes in garbage bags

(Marita J. Buffone) said:

I wonder if the stacked tires could be used for
tomatoes, too.

Tomatoes grow above ground so the tires would only serve as a raised bed.
The advantage of growing potatoes in stacked tires is that you just remove
one tire at a time and the potatoes fall out; much easier than digging
them out of the ground.

--
McQualude

[email protected] 06-04-2004 09:32 PM

Potatoes in garbage bags

On 6 Apr 2004 07:00:35 -0700,
(Marita J. Buffone) wrote:

Katra wrote in message ...

Stacked tires are supposed to work well. :-)

I'd worry about mold growth with plastic bags???

Dunno.

K.

I heard that about the tires. Our town has a cleanup day coming up.
I bet I could get some from there.

We have found that tire stores are delighted, thrilled, to
give us all the free tires we want - they'll even load them
into the car for us.

It costs the tire stores in our town $3 *each* to dispose of
tires - at least, that's what they tell us and they've no
reason to lie about it.

Pat

belly 10-04-2004 05:33 AM

Potatoes in garbage bags

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:27:42 -0500 in
, Katra

(Marita J. Buffone) wrote:

I want to grow potatoes in black garbage bags on my deck. Any
information about this would be helpful.

Also, has anyone used store bought potatoes successfully rather than
purchasing seed potatoes? I want to use a couple baking potatoes and
a couple red potatoes that have sprouted.

Marita (I think Zone 5 - western Orange Cty, NY)

Stacked tires are supposed to work well. :-)

I've done that one, too, it works quite well, the black tires heat the
straw, and the plants go nuts.

John Savage 13-04-2004 02:33 AM

Potatoes in garbage bags

(Marita J. Buffone) writes:
Also, has anyone used store bought potatoes successfully rather than
purchasing seed potatoes? I want to use a couple baking potatoes and
a couple red potatoes that have sprouted.

Supermarket potatoes grow perfectly! It is best to plant small whole ones,
rather than be tempted to cut a large one up into separate pieces. The cut
surfaces do tend to rot.

After you plant the spuds there should be no need to water them until
they have put up a nice bunch of green leaves. Just cover with lots of
mulch and dry leaves, etc. This cover will also protect them from the odd
late frost.

I'm in Australia, where we like spuds as much as do the Irish.

simy1 13-04-2004 04:33 PM

Potatoes in garbage bags

John Savage wrote in message news:040413000110941.13Apr04$rookswood@suburbian. com...
(Marita J. Buffone) writes:
Also, has anyone used store bought potatoes successfully rather than
purchasing seed potatoes? I want to use a couple baking potatoes and
a couple red potatoes that have sprouted.

Supermarket potatoes grow perfectly! It is best to plant small whole ones,
rather than be tempted to cut a large one up into separate pieces. The cut
surfaces do tend to rot.

two ways to reduce rot are to dry the cut before planting, or rub it
in wood ash. I do the latter, and I guess that rotting happens 5% of
the time or less.

Gouda&Brie4me 18-04-2004 09:04 PM

Potatoes in garbage bags

m...

(Marita J. Buffone) writes:
Also, has anyone used store bought potatoes successfully rather than
purchasing seed potatoes? I want to use a couple baking potatoes and
a couple red potatoes that have sprouted.

Supermarket potatoes grow perfectly! It is best to plant small whole

ones,
rather than be tempted to cut a large one up into separate pieces. The

cut
surfaces do tend to rot.

two ways to reduce rot are to dry the cut before planting, or rub it
in wood ash. I do the latter, and I guess that rotting happens 5% of
the time or less.

Hi. Read this thread with interest. Just curious, how many seed potatoes do
you plant in the tires? One, two, maybe? Also, how high or how many tires
would you stack and fill with mulch or whatever before you stop and wait
before you start harvesting the crop? I have access to lots of well
composted mushroom manure, would that be ok to use in the tires or would
that be too strong for the spuds? Just subscribed to this newsgroup, my
first post, hope this comes through ok. If not, my apologies, Bill.