Old 06-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Steve Calvin

Default Growing Zones Was: when do you harvest garlic?

Loki wrote:
il Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:09:25 GMT, Steve Calvin ha scritto:

Well, just kind of split the difference. I'm in sort of the same
situation. Either 5A or 5B depending on which map I look at. It's all
very much guesswork anyhow depending on the weather during any given
year. Just use the maps as guidelines and most years you'll be fine.

Where are the main maps? The one I found didn't have those B's and
A's. We get winter frosts of -3 to -5 at the most.

Here's one that may help:
http://gardening.about.com/gi/dynami...m%2Fzon es%2F

There is also information on it at:
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-ne1.html

--
Steve

Old 06-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Steve Calvin

Loki wrote:

il Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:34:34 -0400, Steve Calvin ha scritto:

Here's one that may help:

http://gardening.about.com/gi/dynami...m%2Fzon es%2F

There is also information on it at:
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-ne1.html

Thanks for those. I find the main one is geared for those in the
States (...) whereas I need the zones number description. Which
zones are where in USA are ultimately irrelevant to me - I won't be
planting there. :-)
The second site was what I needed - thanks.

Ah, ok... here's another that you may find interesting then. It doesn't
go into the "a's and b's" but may be helpful to you:
http://backyardgardener.com/zone/

--
Steve

Old 06-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Loki

il Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:05:25 -0400, Steve Calvin ha scritto:

Thanks for those. I find the main one is geared for those in the
States (...) whereas I need the zones number description. Which
zones are where in USA are ultimately irrelevant to me - I won't be
planting there. :-)
The second site was what I needed - thanks.

Ah, ok... here's another that you may find interesting then. It doesn't
go into the "a's and b's" but may be helpful to you:
http://backyardgardener.com/zone/

hey thanks, i'll try that too. :-))

The biggest problem I have so far is finding out my local average
minimum temperature! I can find 'means' for big cities, rainfall
even, hours of sunshine, but has anyone done 'average annual
minimum'? nooooooo. sigh And if there is anything they have 'air'
and 'grass' temperatures but not averaged and some seem to leave off
the minus sign (that may be my browser). I think I'll give up on the
net and try my library or newspaper office. Seems to me there is
scope for the paper to put all it's weather records online.

BTW I was always told to plant garlic on the shortest day in winter
and yet I read here people talking of planting it in your spring.
Does it depend on climate?

--
Cheers,

Old 06-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Loki

il 07 Apr 2004 09:48:04 +1200, "Loki" ha scritto:

il Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:05:25 -0400, Steve Calvin ha scritto:

Ah, ok... here's another that you may find interesting then. It doesn't
go into the "a's and b's" but may be helpful to you:
http://backyardgardener.com/zone/

hey thanks, i'll try that too. :-))

Hmmm, they want a subscription before they'll let me look at those
Sunset zones.
--
Cheers,

Old 07-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Steve Calvin

Loki wrote:
il 07 Apr 2004 09:48:04 +1200, "Loki" ha scritto:

il Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:05:25 -0400, Steve Calvin ha scritto:

Ah, ok... here's another that you may find interesting then. It doesn't
go into the "a's and b's" but may be helpful to you:
http://backyardgardener.com/zone/

hey thanks, i'll try that too. :-))

Hmmm, they want a subscription before they'll let me look at those
Sunset zones.

Sorry, it didn't prompt me for that...

As for when I plant? Around here (eastern New York state, zone 5b) I
just kind of "wing it". I put it in sometime in October usually before
the ground freezes and I've had no problem what so ever.

--
Steve

Old 11-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Loki

il Wed, 07 Apr 2004 08:44:13 -0400, Steve Calvin ha scritto:

Hmmm, they want a subscription before they'll let me look at those
Sunset zones.

Sorry, it didn't prompt me for that...

free if you're an AOL subscriber

As for when I plant? Around here (eastern New York state, zone 5b) I
just kind of "wing it". I put it in sometime in October usually before
the ground freezes and I've had no problem what so ever.

I've decided I'm in zone 8/9 I think. Sooo hard to tell.
--
Cheers,

Old 11-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Steve Calvin

Loki wrote:
il Wed, 07 Apr 2004 08:44:13 -0400, Steve Calvin ha scritto:

Hmmm, they want a subscription before they'll let me look at those
Sunset zones.

Sorry, it didn't prompt me for that...

free if you're an AOL subscriber

As for when I plant? Around here (eastern New York state, zone 5b) I
just kind of "wing it". I put it in sometime in October usually before
the ground freezes and I've had no problem what so ever.

I've decided I'm in zone 8/9 I think. Sooo hard to tell.

Nope, not a subscriber to AOHell... for the life of me I can't figure
out why people pay for that thing. Not trying to start a war but it
just makes no sense at all to me. shrug

--
Steve

Old 18-04-2004, 06:05 AM
Anonymous

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:46:00 +0000, Steve Calvin wrote:

Nope, not a subscriber to AOHell... for the life of me I can't figure out
why people pay for that thing. Not trying to start a war but it just
makes no sense at all to me. shrug

My Dad, a brand new computer user, wasn't on AOL long enough to use up the
freebie period. There were too many pop-ups getting in the way of what he
came online to do. He's got DSL ordered and even invested in a better
computer.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

Growing Zones Was: when do you harvest garlic? Steve Calvin Edible Gardening 0 06-04-2004 09:15 PM
when do you harvest garlic? Norma J. Briggs Edible Gardening 26 26-03-2004 12:03 AM
when do you harvest garlic? Norma J. Briggs Edible Gardening 0 06-03-2004 12:39 AM
Harvest Garlic Early? Fleemo Gardening 7 24-06-2003 08:08 AM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 06:20 PM