GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Re(2):garden police gone wild? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/57897-re-2-garden-police-gone-wild.html)

Glenna Rose 06-04-2004 10:15 PM

Re(2):garden police gone wild?

writes:

Thanks for the crossword puzzle hint. I'm going to suggest that to our
president (who will probably ask me to come up with one!)

For the puzzle, I used a combination of historical things and current
things, such as the boundaries of our neighborhood association, the person
after whom our park was named, etc. Though most of it was specific about
our own neighborhood, I also included some general things about our area
such as the original spelling of our county's name which was the result of
a clerical error which was later corrected. There is an area to our west
that was known decades ago for the country from which many of the farm
families had come before it was later renamed to Fruit Valley (I preferred
the historical name, everyone has a fruit valley, glendale, etc.). If you
have a local museum, it should be a good source of information for your
own neighborhood. An even better, and perhaps more accessible source, are
long-time residents.

For one newsletter, I included a list of birds seen in our own back yards,
and some people actually did contribute to it. We always received good
feedback on things like that and the puzzles, but the meetings were not
well enough attended to be truly representative of the entire
neighborhood. Our last several Boards have done all that could be thought
of to have a wider variety of residents represented. We have about 50
percent homeowners, perhaps 30 percent renters, and 20 percent
duplex/apartment dwellers, and it seems only homeowners attend. That is
sad because renters' needs can sometimes be quite different than those of
homeowners. It seems likely the renters would have more concerns about
such things as parking and play areas for children. There are enough
child-at-home families represented that the play areas are discussed,
etc., but input from all would be much better.

If you have a large number of gardeners, either vegetable or just
"pretty," you might make one that leans that way, especially since it's
spring in the northern hemisphere. I'll bet our gardeners here could come
up with some great gardening crossword puzzles! Some could even be
specific to edibles or fruit or ornamental. :-)

Glenna