Old 06-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Brigitte J.

Default I think I messed up my seedlings :(

Hi group,
I am new to this gardening thing and it appears I may have done something
wrong. Several weeks ago I started some seeds indoors, as I'm in zone 5 and
still getting frost at night. All of my seedlings are up but some are
getting very long and leggy looking. Some of them are starting to droop and
fold-over. Are they supposed to be this way? If not, what did I do wrong?
Anything I can do to correct the problem?

The seedlings are brocolli, brussels sprouts and various kinds of lettuce.

Thanks in advance for advice and/or comments.

Brigitte

Old 06-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Bill Bolle

Brigitte J. wrote:
Hi group,
I am new to this gardening thing and it appears I may have done something
wrong. Several weeks ago I started some seeds indoors, as I'm in zone 5 and
still getting frost at night. All of my seedlings are up but some are
getting very long and leggy looking. Some of them are starting to droop and
fold-over. Are they supposed to be this way? If not, what did I do wrong?
Anything I can do to correct the problem?

The seedlings are brocolli, brussels sprouts and various kinds of lettuce.

Thanks in advance for advice and/or comments.

Brigitte

Most likely you are not providing enough light. Most of us use
fluorescent shop lights placed very close above the seedlings to
provide the light they crave. If the bending over is just due to
their "long legs", and not a damping off disease, you may be able to
save them by repotting them. Plant them a little deeper in the new
soil, even up to where the leaves branch out from the stem, and you
may be able to save a large portion of them. Most of all give them
light!!
Bill

Old 06-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Dale McSwain

Are you using artificial lighting? If so then the light needs
to be very close to the plants - almost touching if using
flourescent. Move it up when the plants start to touch it.

Make sure you don't water too much.

Dale

Old 06-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Brigitte J." wrote:

Hi group,
I am new to this gardening thing and it appears I may have done something
wrong. Several weeks ago I started some seeds indoors, as I'm in zone 5 and
still getting frost at night. All of my seedlings are up but some are
getting very long and leggy looking. Some of them are starting to droop and
fold-over. Are they supposed to be this way? If not, what did I do wrong?
Anything I can do to correct the problem?

The seedlings are brocolli, brussels sprouts and various kinds of lettuce.

Thanks in advance for advice and/or comments.

Brigitte

More light...

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 07-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Loki

il Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:28:14 GMT, "Brigitte J." ha scritto:
It's called etiolation. they are stretching out to get light. if you
provide close light, just be aware not to burn them. Put 'em out in a
sheltered spot in daytime if possible, then bring them in at night.
If they get too stretched start over again.
--
Cheers,