Old 13-04-2004, 03:03 AM
jm

Default Intercropping and Rotation Questions didn't know growing Tomatoes was so hard

I have about 800 sq. ft. to grow a garden in. I am going to use a
tiller to till it, if it matters. I plan on dividing the garden up
into four smaller square areas.

In each area, I want to plant the appropriate intercropping plants and
then rotate yearly.

What plants should I intercrop together? I have seen rotation
schedules, but what to plant together I can't find for a small garden
like this. I have looked, sorry couldn't find exactly what I was
looking for, sorry.

Or, is this area just too small to worry about it?

Thanks.

Thus far, I plan on planting tomatoes, bell peppers (different
colors), hot peppers, yellow crook-neck squash, and cucumbers; maybe,
carrots and beets.

Thanks again.
Old 13-04-2004, 12:35 PM
shazzbat

"jm" wrote in message
om...
I have about 800 sq. ft. to grow a garden in. I am going to use a
tiller to till it, if it matters. I plan on dividing the garden up
into four smaller square areas.

In each area, I want to plant the appropriate intercropping plants and
then rotate yearly.

What plants should I intercrop together? I have seen rotation
schedules, but what to plant together I can't find for a small garden
like this. I have looked, sorry couldn't find exactly what I was
looking for, sorry.

Or, is this area just too small to worry about it?

Thanks.

Given that you don't mention potatoes, I would divide this area into three
areas and rotate crops as follows. Area 1 - root crops ie beets,
carrots,parsnips etc. Area 2 - legumes ie beans peas and any aubergines
onions cucumbers tomatoes etc. -this area can have as much well rotted
manure as you like. Dig a trench, fill it with manure, put the soil back on
top and you have a hot bed these crops will love you for. Area 3 -
Brassicas - cabbages sprouts turnips radishes, broccoli etc. Enjoy.

Steve

http://mysite.freeserve.com/steveandmaggiesplot

Old 13-04-2004, 03:06 PM
SugarChile

Make it four areas, and in the fourth plant asparagus. Trust me on this
one. In a few years you will be very happy you took the time and trouble.
Assuming, of course, you like asparagus. It's astonishing to me how much
better fresh asparagus from the garden tastes compared to what you can buy.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA