Old 22-04-2004, 03:02 PM
nortyler

Default "fruit salad trees"

I am interested in a grafted multiple fruit trees for a smallish
garden in New Orleans, one with stone fruit and one with citrus. Does
anyone have expreience with these trees and can comment on their
heartiness and the quality of their fruit? If they are acceptable
does anyone know a reputable grower? Thanks
Old 22-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Steve

nortyler wrote:
I am interested in a grafted multiple fruit trees for a smallish
garden in New Orleans, one with stone fruit and one with citrus. Does
anyone have expreience with these trees and can comment on their
heartiness and the quality of their fruit? If they are acceptable
does anyone know a reputable grower? Thanks

Close to 25 years ago, I bought and planted a multi graft apple and
a multi graft pear. The results were very disappointing. They had
placed the grafts on the inside surface of the original branches so
that when they grew, they grew toward the center of the tree. They
did this so the grafts wouldn't get broken off as they shoved the
tree into a box for shipping.
Some of the grafts didn't grow so I didn't get what I paid for. The
ones that did grow were on branches that should have been pruned off
if not for the grafts. Other desirable branches has to be pruned off
instead.

I have 3 multi graft trees right now but I made them all myself. It
works so much better to plant a normal tree, grow it for 2 or 3
years. Decide on the best scaffold branches and THEN do the grafts.
Much better!

Steve

PS A good homemade soup might be hearty but plants are hardy.