Old 22-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Not the Karl Orff

Default Oyster mushrooms in coffee grounds

I got my hands on a German gardening magazine that
suggested/demonstrated growing oyster mushrooms in coffee grounds.
Can't read the german but would getting an oyster mushroom and letting
it rot (or shaking it over the grounds) be sufficient to get some spors
in?

Also suggested/showed shiitakes grown from oak and someother hardwood
logs. We only have poplus or various confier woods handy here. Also a
matter of getting the shiitake spores.
Old 22-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Katra

In article ,
Not the Karl Orff wrote:

I got my hands on a German gardening magazine that
suggested/demonstrated growing oyster mushrooms in coffee grounds.
Can't read the german but would getting an oyster mushroom and letting
it rot (or shaking it over the grounds) be sufficient to get some spors
in?

Also suggested/showed shiitakes grown from oak and someother hardwood
logs. We only have poplus or various confier woods handy here. Also a
matter of getting the shiitake spores.

You don't need spores... ;-)
Pureed fresh mushroom (use a sterlized blender or food processer) are
suitable for starts. Do NOT let the mushrooms rot!

Here is a method that was sent to me for growing oyster mushrooms on
unbleached toilet paper. Oyster mushrooms are cellulose metabolizers:

Oyster mushrooms are the easiest mushroom in the world to grow.Buy them from
a store(make sure they are very fresh looking).Put in a sterile blender or
food processor,puree to liquify.Take a roll of unbleached natural toilet
paper,put in a large zip lock bag.Pour in enough boiling water to soak the
toilet paper roll.Stuff the pureed Oyster Mushroom in the tube of the toilet
paper roll,then seal up the bag and put in a warm dark place for a few weeks
until fully colonized.Then bring into the light and poke a few dime sized
holes in the sides of the bag.Then when they fruit,pick and fry in a little
butter.Yummm.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 22-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Loki

il Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:51:45 GMT, Not the Karl Orff ha scritto:

I got my hands on a German gardening magazine that
suggested/demonstrated growing oyster mushrooms in coffee grounds.
Can't read the german but would getting an oyster mushroom and letting
it rot (or shaking it over the grounds) be sufficient to get some spors
in?

Also suggested/showed shiitakes grown from oak and someother hardwood
logs. We only have poplus or various confier woods handy here. Also a
matter of getting the shiitake spores.

There are some web sites that not only sell you mushroom starter kits
but give info on growing mediums. Some even supply the medium. :-)
Unfortunately it was years ago I looked at them, so no URLs to pass
on.

--
Cheers,

Old 22-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Loki

il Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:11:31 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

[...]

I like it, an urban growing medium. :-)
--
Cheers,

Old 23-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Loki

I like it, an urban growing medium. :-)

I even found a site.
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~mushspor/oysterdetails.htm

What I'd like are home grown porcini :-) or even shop bought fresh
ones for that
matter. I've never seen any.
--
Cheers,

Old 24-04-2004, 01:03 AM
simy1

www.fungi.com has an espresso oyster kit.

Also suggested/showed shiitakes grown from oak and someother hardwood
logs. We only have poplus or various confier woods handy here. Also a
matter of getting the shiitake spores.

poplar could be OK. Conifer is not, but fungi has specialized spawn
for conifers.
Whatever you do, make sure that shade and moisture are OK. Most
mushrooms, even in logs or woodchips, will like a source of nitrogen
(such as coffee grounds or manure) to cover them until they reach
maturity. In fact, I use the espresso kit in a woodchip-coffee
mixture.